Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back firing through the intake and won't start. any ideas????

hey yall my 90 integra LS died on the highway after touching the accelerator in 5th gear and bogging down then eventually died now the car is in my garage and will not start i have spark everwhere it should. and im getting fuel. i think it is maybe a timing problem and the belt slipped but i need help and advice before i go and get an engine swap even though i should with 160,000miles WHAT SHOULD I DO? if you can help in any way thanks!

·
Registered
72 Posts
i dunno wut to really say other than to get that checked, it could be ur timing belt. check for any loose wires anywhere, all the fluids. just bcuz you have 160K doesn't mean u need a motor swap already, unless those miles u have are really beating on the motor. but if u have the money then go for the swap, but i think you would be wasting a motor wid very high potential, two words LS/VTEC. but get it checked first.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Re: Back firing through the intake and won't start. any ideas????

90TegDelSol said:
hey yall my 90 integra LS died on the highway after touching the accelerator in 5th gear and bogging down then eventually died now the car is in my garage and will not start i have spark everwhere it should. and im getting fuel. i think it is maybe a timing problem and the belt slipped but i need help and advice before i go and get an engine swap even though i should with 160,000miles WHAT SHOULD I DO? if you can help in any way thanks!
If you'r back-firing through the intake you have bigger problems than the timing belt. Back-Fire usually happens in the exhaust system when rich exhaust fumes are (sometimes intentionally) ignited. It is possibly, however, that you have stuck Intake valves that are allowing flames back through the TB into the Intake. Probably due for a valve job / maybe, depending on damage, a new head. If you're not sure what to do I'd advise you to take it to a mechanic and see what he/she says.

·
Registered
14,616 Posts
99acura said:
uh i think it old dude b16a time
b16s are cheap and all, but he will probably miss that torque from the b18a. my compression is low and i'm gonna go with a b20 swap myself (if i keep the car). just a suggestion, they're pretty cheap too.;)

·
Registered
505 Posts
i now b20 is good and all, but it is kidda getting outta hand, how everyone just jumping into b20 bandwagon... i am happy with b18c but if i were in your situation ill just get a new car, like s13 or s14:D

·
Registered
165 Posts
are u sure....if i were u i would go for a LS/vtec if i were u....cause u already have the block...and say if u were to turbo your car! i hear from people that it is good to have a ls tranny to run a turbo because of the long gear ratios...u would get a good amount more than jus the SI and a very close numbers to the GSR...but it however u want to do and the amount of money u have....but maybe u have bent valve(s)...seal(s) could be bad...did u try to slam fifth and kinda missed it??...where u jus cruising??...

·
Registered
165 Posts
are u sure....if i were u i would go for a LS/vtec if i were u....cause u already have the block...and say if u were to turbo your car! i hear from people that it is good to have a ls tranny to run a turbo because of the long gear ratios...u would get a good amount more than jus the SI and a very close numbers to the GSR...but it however u want to do and the amount of money u have....but maybe u have bent valve(s)...seal(s) could be bad...did u try to slam fifth and kinda missed it??...where u jus cruising??...

i was pertaining to the LS/Vtec when i was comparing the SI GSR LS/Vtec

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea I was just cruisin but 2 hours before it started boggin i was runnig it pretty hard and how much do you think could get a b16 head for and and how much for a machine shop to modify if needed?? or what do you think a shop would charge everything done. i mean the only concept of price i knw is b16a for $1,000 and install for $600 and if i want the tranny +$600 i really would like to go with vtec head i just wonder how hard would it be for m to do it my self

·
Registered
27 Posts
I could be wrong, but this was my experience: My distibutor bearing began to seize up on me one night driving in 5th going about 60mph. It took me a minute to start the car, I popped the hood and pulled on the throttle cable to listen for any noises. When I did this I heard a backfire through the intake. It ended up that my timing belt had skipped a tooth. Before you go spend $$ rebuilding or thinking about swaps and LS/Vtec, Take your valve cover off turn your crank over by hand and line up your marks to TDC. There is a mark on your crank pulley that lines up with a mark on the timing cover and make sure both cam gears have the "up" marks going straight up. If they don't match up then your timings off and that is what would be giving you all of your problems, but if that's not the case, I don't know what to tell you. Again I'm just speaking from my own experiences with the same situation. HTH

Jeff

·
Registered
27 Posts
Re: Re: Back firing through the intake and won't start. any ideas????

TegFanatic said:
If you'r back-firing through the intake you have bigger problems than the timing belt. Back-Fire usually happens in the exhaust system when rich exhaust fumes are (sometimes intentionally) ignited. It is possibly, however, that you have stuck Intake valves that are allowing flames back through the TB into the Intake. Probably due for a valve job / maybe, depending on damage, a new head. If you're not sure what to do I'd advise you to take it to a mechanic and see what he/she says.
Back-Fire through the exhaust ALSO has to do with A/F mixture, if your timing is retarded by a few degrees, your ecu will normally run fuel a little rich, this tends to give you a nice "fart" sound.

As far as stuck intake valves, the minute your valves get stuck while your engine is in motion :eek: you can kiss the valves good bye. Fire back into the throttle body? I'm not flamming you in anyway, just adding to what you had to say, and hopefully clearing up the intake valve idea a little more.

Jeff

·
Registered
297 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Back firing through the intake and won't start. any ideas????

mosier said:
Back-Fire through the exhaust ALSO has to do with A/F mixture, if your timing is retarded by a few degrees, your ecu will normally run fuel a little rich, this tends to give you a nice "fart" sound.

As far as stuck intake valves, the minute your valves get stuck while your engine is in motion :eek: you can kiss the valves good bye. Fire back into the throttle body? I'm not flamming you in anyway, just adding to what you had to say, and hopefully clearing up the intake valve idea a little more.

Jeff
Sorry, I figured when I said "Back-Fire usually happens in the exhaust system when rich exhaust fumes are (sometimes intentionally) ignited", it was kind of obvious I was talking about A/F. I was misclear about the Intake Valve though, when I say "Stuck" I mean that it's not seating correctly. When the valve doesn't seat correctly it allows flames to pass back through the IM. Please do not continue to correct me Jeff, I know what I'm talking about, and your efforts would be better focused on helping others on this site.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
in reply my engine wont run at all. it will spark and inject fuel butquestion if its doing that in the right order. and its fartin in the intake im gonna tow it down to nearest performance shop and have them look at it. the mechanic said it sounds like timeing is off. but the cam gears look in time with both "up"s in place but the is some loosness in the belt,not completly tight and there is rubber peices on the cam gears i think there from the belt but under side of belt doesnt show any geat wear
also off the subject but i want to put a picture up of my car on here how do i do that its pretty tight with new paintjob

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Guess what the f*ck it was!! i didnt even think to look there, my rotor was off and loose conection in distributor that cost me $80 but its fixed and im not going to think of this event ever agian but thanks yall fer ya imput

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.