Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

bad engine mounts

612 views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  slow_eh2 
#1 ·
can engine mounts just go bad...i mean i guess after 10+ years they might, but how common of a problem is that

#2 ·
driving style and the fact that OEM mounts are rubber make it fairly easy for a 10+ year old car to have bad mounts.
Easy solution is inserts from energy suspension or such, if you feel the need to cheaply fix em instead of paying more for new OEM mounts.

#4 ·
can somebody explain the inserts a bit? from what i found, most likely the rubber part of the mounts are bad, and that's what these are?

so you just replace the rubber part in the existing mounts?

#7 ·
If you look at yer AC side front mount for example, you see how it has those rib like deals? the inserts fit over it and have grooves on the inside part, so you keep your mount together, no modifying. you basically loosen your timing-top mount, support the engine with a piece of wood and jack, and slightly lower the engine. you take the 2-3 bolts off the omunt, drop the mount, put both halves of teh inserts on it, and reinstall the mounte, The insert has 2 holes on each half, these are for the plastic zip ties to go throw, to keep the inserts from falling away from the mount. Think of it like this, the inserts are pieces of bread, the mount is your filler, and the plastic ties are the toothpicks to keep the sandich together.

These front mounts basicaly restrict motor movement, not necessarily support it. In fact, most B series swap kits dont include these mounts, but if your car needs to pass inspection, you need these mounts in place.

#5 ·
Yes inserts are awesome. 2-3 weeks ago I had both CV shafts replaced with brand new ones, and the setup still felt sloppy. So I threw one pair of inserts on the lower AC front mount. Tightened up the slack, rattles under 600rpm, but shifts much smoother. Still jolts a bit, but its normal for honda automatics, thats why they last fairly long, they have stiffer/stronger clutches. My next thing is to do the other front mount on the tranny side, then eventually do the rear mount.

The set cost me 35 shipped form ebay, new in package. And worth every penny, whether yer mounts are torn or not.

#9 ·
one last question...

is there a way to know if the problem can be solved with these, or what if the mounts themselves are actually bad?

#10 ·
the only thing that really goes bad in a mount is the bullshit rubber honda decided to use. swap that out for poluerathane man... and your set. alot d series junkins use them for boost (because hasport mounts are wayyyyy expensive... for us budget builders at least.

#12 ·
you could cut away the rubber, install these inserts, and still be better off than the OEM quality.

DONT remove the rubber though. The mount should be replaced only if the metal parts are damaged. 99% of the time its just the rubber being torn.

Try these inserts. the kit is cheaper to fix/upgrade three of your mounts versus a OEM replacement of teh cheapest mount about 30 bucks for those small front ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.