Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok this is reallly getting odd, i have been getting horible gas miledge i got about 90 miles when i had a little over a half tank, i know my cat is bad because im geting this really sweet smell out of my exhaust and i can really smell it when i get on it. but i dont know, "would that do it" i kinda need a tune up i have about 6500 miles on the plugs/oil/wires/rotor, im running full synthedic oil, tahts one of the reasons i havent changed it, i would'nt really care about the gas miledge so much but i want my car to run good, and gas is too exspencive to waste. I drive a d15 auto hatch if that helps, and im not throwing a cel

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
holy shit 6500 mniles on oil, I start to sweat if I go more then 10 miles over 3k lol.

If your geting a cell it will hurt milage, check your intake filter for clogs/dirt, take off the cat and look for a clog as well. since the ignition components are virtualy new should be fine. only other thing I can come up with is mabby skiped a tooth on t-belt of IGN timing is off. mabby a gas leak???

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya i havent had the money for the oil, ive been really poor latly, i get paid the 10th so im defently going to change it, the timing belt is brand new it was put on when everything else was, theres no cell. ive been running the full synthedic castrol gtx, so i dont think its as bad as if i was to run it this long with other oils

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Thorgs said:
I'm not 100% sure but does the O2 senser affect gas mileage if it goes bad?
Absolutely.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
speedjunky01 said:
holy shit 6500 mniles on oil, I start to sweat if I go more then 10 miles over 3k lol.
Why? Honda only recommends changes every 7500 miles :) I change every 4k just because 4k is an easy number to remember :)

Have you actually calculated your gas mileage? I am asking because it could simply be that the gas gauge is misbehaving.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no i havent calulated it perfectly, but its not good, i might be a little off in numbers but not to much, all i know is we took my brother civic which has a d16,"his car is a stick" out of town we used about a guarter tank, then the next day we took my civic, which has a d15 "its an auto" and it used a half tank

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
a bad o2 sensor will cause it to run richer, which in turn will ruin your cat over time.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
damnit i just had a O2 sensor on a parts hatch that got smashed, but i was just going to get a cheap ebay cat, mostly because i want to be halfway legal, and no one can see it so why spend alot, theres no emisions here.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
well even if there's no emissions checks in your area, the environmentalist in me still pleads with you to run a cat of some kind. even if it's a high flow one that's barely legal, it's still a cat. the unfortunate thing is that you normally can't buy used ones, but once you do get a new one, they're not that expensive to install (like $40 or so at the shop i last checked). the O2 sensor though, good grief those can be horribly expensive! luckily replacing those things is easy, you can probably do it yourself.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
that one civic said:
the O2 sensor though, good grief those can be horribly expensive! luckily replacing those things is easy, you can probably do it yourself.
negative. they are about 60 and you can do it yourself. very simple. check the junkyard or local autoparts store. its the cat that will kill you.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
ksniperfox said:
negative. they are about 60 and you can do it yourself. very simple. check the junkyard or local autoparts store. its the cat that will kill you.
from honda the primary o2 is about 200 for the d16y's, the secondary is about 80

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yes, a bad cat can murder your gas mileage, but it will also cause a loss of power. As a first guess, I'd say change you're oil and filter, check you're air filter, check you're fuel rail pressure, and you're tire pressure. Any of those can affect your mileage. Oh, and how hard do you drive it?

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Low Flying Jet said:
Yes, a bad cat can murder your gas mileage, but it will also cause a loss of power. As a first guess, I'd say change you're oil and filter, check you're air filter, check you're fuel rail pressure, and you're tire pressure. Any of those can affect your mileage. Oh, and how hard do you drive it?

lol I beat on mine a lot. I practiced my 1-2 shift from stop light to stop light lol.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
speedjunky01 said:
from honda the primary o2 is about 200 for the d16y's, the secondary is about 80
who wants to pay the dealer these days? no wonder you said those are expensive if you get your shit from the dealer.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.