Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the symptoms of a motor mount gone bad? (BTW, this has nothing to do with my other post on rough idle - two different cars)

Would it include:
  • shifter moving slightly forward/backward with change in throttle (between shifts as you rest your hand on shifter you feel this)
  • Slight joltiness after hard shift
  • jolty aceleration at times

· Registered
6,555 Posts
this is how i found out i had bad motor mounts.
whenever i was shifting hard at red line it would grind gears.
i though my tranny was bad and i was about to replace it
but when i got underneath the car i saw that the rear motor mount was in a bad shape. i changed that and i got the Energy Suspension motor mount inserts. i've had those on for almost a year and i dont have any problems yet. never changed the tranny or anything like that.

· Registered
62 Posts
How are the energy suspension motor mounts compared to OE? Becuz I was at the dealership, with an idle issue if you'd believe that today. They told me the left mount is broken, so I'm going to need to replace it with something, I'm not sure what though.
-Haunter9x

· Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm... doesn't seem to match the symptoms of this civic, more like the other (coupe w/ idle probs) Oh well, might try it anyway. Not too bad, just kind of noticeable. Maybe it is because this civic is a 96 4dr rather than a 94 coupe. (the difference in shift feel) Still seems kind of odd.

I have heard really good things about the Energy suspension motor mounts, easy install too.

· Registered
936 Posts
Civic_Grl_Rcr said:
Hmmm... doesn't seem to match the symptoms of this civic...
OMG!!! This is ironic!!! I was just talking about this on another site this morning. Here's your problem. Read between the lines:

BlackDeuceCoupe said:
It isn't refinement; it's compromise. Bottom line: Broads don't want to see their gear shifters wiggling around. In their minds, it means something is wrong with their car. That's why they [generally] put gated cable-shifters on women's cars and rod shifters on men's. It's just ANOTHER compromise men have to put up with when women are factored into the decision making process!...

· Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BlackDeuceCoupe said:
It isn't refinement; it's compromise. Bottom line: Broads don't want to see their gear shifters wiggling around. In their minds, it means something is wrong with their car. That's why they [generally] put gated cable-shifters on women's cars and rod shifters on men's. It's just ANOTHER compromise men have to put up with when women are factored into the decision making process!...
Really, that's funny, because my husband is the one that pointed it out to me. Guess you pegged me wrong on that one.:rolleyes:

· Registered
23 Posts
the best way to tell for a broken motor mount is to open the hood with the engine running and see if there is excessive movement, also pull on the throttle cable while your under there and check for excessive movement. Don't look at the shifter for movement while Id-ing a motor mount problem, listen for a clunk under hard acceleration.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.