Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car is getting bad mpg, running slugish and tons of white smoke coming from exhaust? what could be the problem and how can i fix this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
i think bad piston rings might cause the problem.
if you're getting tons of smokie, im pretty sure thats the problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
290 Posts
White smoke is most usually caused when you are burning anti-freeze during combustion. Typically from a leaking head gasket.

White Smoke: Antifreeze
Black Smoke: Excess Fuel
Blue Smoke: Burning Oil

You had best do a compression test and make sure that your head gasket is still in tact. I would suggest driving it that way too much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
290 Posts
qbsi said:
i think bad piston rings might cause the problem.
if you're getting tons of smokie, im pretty sure thats the problem.

Worn or weak piston rings will cause lower compression and increased oil consumption. It will be blowing blue smoke all the time.

One thing I forgot to add to my previous post. One way to tell if you are burning anti-freeze is that your coolant level will be low, obviosuly. You can test for a blown head gasket by pressurizing each cylinder with air. If you remove your rad cap and see bubbles coming up as you test each cylinder you will know that it is indeed a head gasket problem.

My advice is, if your collant level is low, take it to a garage and get it checked out. Most people don't have the equipment to do these tests properly and they aren't terribly expensive to get done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maniac said:
Worn or weak piston rings will cause lower compression and increased oil consumption. It will be blowing blue smoke all the time.

One thing I forgot to add to my previous post. One way to tell if you are burning anti-freeze is that your coolant level will be low, obviosuly. You can test for a blown head gasket by pressurizing each cylinder with air. If you remove your rad cap and see bubbles coming up as you test each cylinder you will know that it is indeed a head gasket problem.

My advice is, if your collant level is low, take it to a garage and get it checked out. Most people don't have the equipment to do these tests properly and they aren't terribly expensive to get done.




so it has nothing to do with gas? why am i getting bad mpg? and when i drive the car hard, i hear rattling sound from inside the engine. could it be the valves? im gonna get a compression test this week and thanks for the infos..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
290 Posts
sl33per said:
so it has nothing to do with gas? why am i getting bad mpg? and when i drive the car hard, i hear rattling sound from inside the engine. could it be the valves? im gonna get a compression test this week and thanks for the infos..

Rattling from the engine? It really sounds to me like Fuel Economy are the least of your concerns. It's hard to say why you would be burning more fuel but if you have been burning anti-freeze who knows what your injectors and cylinder walls look like. The injectors could be all buggered up.

I'm really taking a lot of guesses here. Get the compression test done and go from there.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top