Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
This is a case of cut out the disease.
Do not bondo it do not fiber mesh it.
We have a similar spot brewing on the Honda so i took it to my friend to get it rubbed down and sanded and paint.
But shockingly he said leave it to get worse and then cut out and put a new arch in because the part round the arch with the black inner strip rusts as well so it's better to cut the lot out.
So thats the way to go.
I don't know if your capable or a good welder But I'd get some prices for body shop to do it :(

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went to two shops, both told me 500, which I think I can talk it down to 400. But still 400 is ridiculous amount. The third shop told me to keep my money and let it rot.

I was thinking about filing all the rust and bondo it out.

·
Registered
37,992 Posts
but honestly, your gonna have to cut it out. snading it off and bondo will just cover up the problem. and you will need to paint it. and more than likely the rust will just come right back, and becuase the bondo covered it up, it could be worse than before.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I'm pretty sure for $200 you can get a new panel, and $200 for a paint match. I would not pay $500 for a patch job on that.

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
I'm pretty sure for $200 you can get a new panel, and $200 for a paint match. I would not pay $500 for a patch job on that.
no way could you get that panel for $200, and a $200 paint match?? what maaco?? paint match.... should be paint blend, to make it look right a pretty signifigant area of the body would need to be blended, also to patch that $200 to have someone cut that out, and weld in a new piece, and make it look right??? cost alot of $$$

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
no way could you get that panel for $200, and a $200 paint match?? what maaco?? paint match.... should be paint blend, to make it look right a pretty signifigant area of the body would need to be blended, also to patch that $200 to have someone cut that out, and weld in a new piece, and make it look right??? cost alot of $$$
Yes, I was indeed thinking somewhere like Maaco, the idea was to fi the rust, not to make it perfect. But if it's to make it back the way it came from factory, then year, it'll cost a lot more. Every fender I ever found at a junkyard was about $200 or less. Maybe it's a bit more to just order the fender OEM.

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
i see, i was gonna say theres no way you could make it look factory and blend the paint for $400 unless you are a bodyman yourself

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
wow, you think $400 is a lot? fuck if I had body shops quoteing me that much to fix my honda rot, i still would have my Honda's!

·
Registered
201 Posts
$400 ain't bad for that lil' hole. Yes it's bad and we can all see that any inclined bum could finger fuck the bejesus out of that thing as it traipsed down the road. Unless you're really proficient, and I mean really proficient at welding, I would leave that shit alone, you can seriously warp the hell out of that metal without much spark. Better to get a new panel, have it spot weld in and have the old one taken out. If they're going to paint it too for that price, dude your in business, Cause I reckon just $75 is what you spend on some paint that was matched to the factory color. Don't bondo that hole, bondo rely's on underlying metal for support, and as soon as the whether changes that stuff will go through thermal cycling, moisture absorption etc, and then fall out. Given the size of that hole I would say the whole panel have some permeation of rust damage on the interior of the trunk, bracing etc.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just my feeling on the matter I would cut it out and weldin a peice your self its not that hard to do and worst case you have to go and get the panel from oem. But youd save the money trying it never hurt noone plus pick a color you like and paint it yourself all one new color and if it comes out shitty then go to macco for a full paint job. Just try it your self its amazing how easy body work is if its your car your doing cuz if you mess up its still better then rocking the rusted out accord

1 - 12 of 12 Posts