Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had bad valve seals for awhile now and my car feels sluggish am I loosing power because of this??

·
Registered
79 Posts
if you had bad seals you would notice a puff of grey smoke exiting the rear muffler because the engine's oil is seaping past the bad seals and into the combustion chamber then igniting with the fuel and air mixture, producing the grey smoke. Have you ever thought that it could be dirty or clogged fuel injectors? Some additives at car shops can fix this.:cool:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
what was the compression numbers? what was the leak down percentage and where was the air leaking from?

basically speaking, if your valve seals are worn, it's possible you're losing compression which would decrease power.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My mechanic did the test for me so I don't know the exact numbers, he said it was definately the valve seals. I did a compression test myself not too long ago and all the cylinders were within 5% of each other but weren't that high like 160 or so. I didn't do a leakdown.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Got da same problem here

White smoke in da morning and blueish smoke between gear shifts.....

the dealer did a leak down test and told me that it is getting past the rings in one of the cylinders.

My question is.....

How can a mechanic confirm that it is the valve seals?

Guides? Or piston ring?

Is there a specifc test for a component?

Or does the leakdown test give you general idea WHERE the problem is coming from?

Oh and FYI, the dealer quoted me $2800 to fix this (replace the rings/valves/seals/guides) on my 97 GSR with 77k miles.

Another shop nearby was gonna do it for $1600.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He knew it wasn't the piston rings cause I just rebuilt my motor with new ones and I seated them properly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts