Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!!! It sucks to have all that bass and not be able to hear it all!

Ok, I have an american legacy 1600w amp(I know, but it was a really good deal), two 10' MA Audio subs in a bootleg vtec. And a 1 farad cap. I know your suposed to have 1/2 farad for every 500w, but there's no way that amps putting out 1600w's b/c my subs can only handle 600 watts max.
Anyway, I've had no problems for a year, but recently at higher volumes the head unit (515S)skips every time the bass hits! My battery has about to die for a while so I thought mabye the amp was designed to clip out if there was insufcient power. But I just bought a new battery so thats not the problem. So I took apart the entire sub-frame that the radio is in and put thin foam in between every thing that would come apart and it still skips.

Somebody please help me before I just beat the thing in with my fist

· Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine is equiped with an anti-skip buffer and it didn't used to skip.
Sony is crap and I don't really like the way alpine looks, but they're good. I would like to keep the head-unit I got, its payed for. Its a good radio. Its 5 steps up from bottom of the line.

· Registered
1,080 Posts
You might want to make sure the headunit is getting sufficient power. Upgrade the grounds. Check to see if your alternator isn't dying. It could be that your radio isn't getting all the power it needs. Or, it could be that the lense is dirty. Get a cd cleaner and clean the lense off.

· Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I cleaned the lense.I also checked the alternator cause I was thinking the same thing, at idle it was at 13 volts. I didn't try reving it up though. It prolly would have put out 14.4. I'll check tomorrow. The ground is from the factory harness.

Thanks for the suggestions though

can any one else think of anything it could be?

· Registered
227 Posts
preylude1 said:
Mine is equiped with an anti-skip buffer and it didn't used to skip.
Sony is crap and I don't really like the way alpine looks, but they're good. I would like to keep the head-unit I got, its payed for. Its a good radio. Its 5 steps up from bottom of the line.
Why Is SONY crap?

I got a Sony CDX-C8050X almost never skips
But my Sony 10-disc chager with ESP never skips.
Even with my Alpine MRV-1507 running 1 12" Phoenix Gold X-max.
about 1,500 watts peak.

(I Know, I Know 1,500 watts my ass, but I just got my right rear window re-glue because my bass almost took its all the way off)

· Registered
227 Posts
iamthecheeseman said:
All products have there pro's as well as their cons. Sony's have great feautures and they look cool, but then they arent very reliable. i think thats why he says they're crap. I'd say they're great when they work :D
I just want to know what happend to his or his friends Sony that made him post that?

· Registered
2,113 Posts
just because the old sony explod series sucks, doesn't mean the rest of them does also. i doubt you guys have used the ES models. and also the new model right now with the hard drive and stuff. never skips under any circumstances. don't go join the bandwagon of saying sony sucks. apparently one person believes the other and now everyone thinks the same:rolleyes:

also when people said lightning audio stuff sucks...:rolleyes:

· Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
iamthecheeseman said:
All products have there pro's as well as their cons. Sony's have great feautures and they look cool, but then they arent very reliable. i think thats why he says they're crap. I'd say they're great when they work :D
Thats almost exactly what I'm saying. I used to work at a car audio shop, and they just didn't seem reliable. One of the had the fm modulator go out in it and that just don't happen very often. My brother bought a sony(told him not too) and it looks cool, but its always skrewing up and he has to reset it. and it don't play hardly any burnt cds. My kenwood has played every cd I've put in it.

Yall get off my bandwagon:D
j/k

enough of that though, can any one help me out

· Registered
227 Posts
preylude1 said:
Thats almost exactly what I'm saying. I used to work at a car audio shop, and they just didn't seem reliable. One of the had the fm modulator go out in it and that just don't happen very often. My brother bought a sony(told him not too) and it looks cool, but its always skrewing up and he has to reset it. and it don't play hardly any burnt cds. My kenwood has played every cd I've put in it.

Yall get off my bandwagon:D
j/k

enough of that though, can any one help me out
I too can't play some CD-R's

· Registered
224 Posts
crx4luke said:
You might want to make sure the headunit is getting sufficient power. Upgrade the grounds. Check to see if your alternator isn't dying. It could be that your radio isn't getting all the power it needs. Or, it could be that the lense is dirty. Get a cd cleaner and clean the lense off.
i agree, i've seen small caps for your head unit somewhere, but sounds like you're not getting enough power

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.