Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok here is the dilly, my battery kept dying in the heart of winter cold shiz right, ok now i brought my car into honda and they sed it was the battery and they gave me a new one however i just got a new one around a year ago (this is already my 3rd one). I know batteries (esp Honda) should last a long time, now they switched it and sed now go drive it around and let the alternator charge it. OK fine, all is good until now that was in nov/dec time now the same problem the batt is dying and i need my bro to come jump start it now i asked honda if it was the starter or alternator and they sed it was not, ok now i got a vafc install a month ago and all was good i also got a clifford immobilizor that blinks red and i attach a bazooka tube to my stock stereo now i know these things may drain the batt but enuf so that i need to jump start everyday??? pls help i need to know what the hell is taking up all my juice , you know i need the juice.

· Registered
144 Posts
the led on the alarm only consumes like 10 milliamps so thats not the problem..
when u hooked up your tube did u put a remote wire to the correct place so it shuts off with the car...
if thats not it get your cars charging system load tested and check that your belts and connections are tight

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
inbtween the rear seats i have a small stock sub and i just disconnected that and hooked the wires straight to my base tube, i also have a vafc i dunno but this is shietty getting my bro to always jump start me, hahaha. But the base tube is just like a house speaker wire connection???

And what do u mean do i have beat???

· Registered
672 Posts
well because sometimes install ppl connect the power source straight to the battery, and that can lead to the sub or amp draining the battery if anything such as fuses or wires got messed up. usually you're supposed to hook it up to an antenna or something like that.

· Registered
3 Posts
Just wondering, what is powering the bass tube? Is it an external amp or is it off the headunit?

If its an external (aftermarket) amp, it should have three inputs: power, ground, and remote. The remote wire is usually hooked up to the power antenna wire off the headunit or anything that is 'live' when the ignition is on. Your prob many be with this wire, check to see if the amp remains when the ignition is turned off. If it remains on then its drawing power from your battery.

If its hooked up to your headunit, then I don't think that the bass tube is the prob. Another way to determine the prob is to hook up a voltmeter. Then you can monitor the voltage when accessories are on/off or even check the voltage (temporarily)when the car is off.

What kind of mods do u have? Specifically, do u have pulleys? I'm running AEM pulleys and the alt pulley prohibits me from running an external amp since the battery isn't getting charged as fast. My headlights dim at night and my AC/heater vents do not blow as hard at idle :(.

Dammit, there's so many possiblities

Sorry if I'm 'preaching to the choir' I'm just putting my .02 in :rolleyes:

-Kevin

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all your help guys, but i think i have found out part of it, ok when i turn on my alarm (stock one from the 94) it seems to drain like hella fast but if i just lock the doors then i can go work out and come back and all is good but i dont like leaving my car there with no alarm on??? now i know the standby alarm shouldnt take up so much power but that seems to be what is draining it any other suggestions???

· Registered
1,688 Posts
you may have a shitty batter from the dealer....i think OEM battery have 600 CCA..cold cranking amps...at 0 degree...but your prelude allready needs 550 to crank it at that temperature...don't know why but it takes so much to start our car...civics and tegs only require 450 or so to crank...get an aftermarket battery with atleast 700 CCA and you won't have bad start or no start in the morning...if possible, get the dry cell battery cuz it won't freeze over and lose power...it's pricey though.....this is also my third battery i've gone through...i lose one every winter cuz my alarm i draining it for some reason..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.