Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 Accord and was wondering how do u know if your battery needs to be replaced and around how long before you have to replace it? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
i find that out the hardway.... tis when the car doesn't start. haha anyways you can always get that checked with a voltmeter. freeservice at pepboys or at autozone.

·
Registered
39,372 Posts
ive heard that its a good idea to replace your battery every 4-5 years just to be safe-espeacially if you have cold winters where you live-

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
depends alot on the person in how they drive etc

here is how i tell..when i start the car and i hear it start over..if it starts over slow, then the battery is going to go soon...

or sometimes i turn on the headlights and start the car, if the headlights dim alot then the battery is going away.

i replace my battery every umm 4 years...maybe 6 sometimes.

you can get the battery checked at a battery store that will test the drain of amperage on the battery....hehe use the BUTT test and if u hear it start slow or kinda hesitate then u know ur battery is going soon.

honda oem batteries sometimes dont last as long but some do...

my uncle had a battery OEM honda since 1995 in his car...finally gave way after hella miles and the battery was eating inside, no liquid....but gosh almost 10 years on his battery i still wonder how he did it

·
Registered
26 Posts
wow the optima fits in your Accord with no mods? Dudes at pepboys , sears, autozone said it wont fit in my 99 accord because the + & - are reversed from standard batterys. Did you buy longer cables? Hmmm

·
Registered
39,372 Posts
cant u just turn the battery 180 degrees so that the terminals are on the correct sides??

·
Registered
39,372 Posts
then i would get a different battery-if it doesnt fit in your car, and you need to extend the cables to make it work, then i dont think it belongs there-ive got a delco in my 5th gen-been good to me for 2 years so far-

·
Registered
343 Posts
Uve got an Optima Yellow top and it fits just fine w/no mods. The only thing is that the tie down is a little long cus the yellow top is shorter than the OEM batt. but other than that the optima is worth it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts