Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you look at the terminal ends for the battery .. its accually two power wires and two ground .. When you relocate the battery I know you only run one wire .. what do you do with the other power wire?

·
Registered
20,101 Posts
I can tell you what I did on my stang because thats the only thing I have ever done it on. Obviously there will be a couple things that you may need to do or not to do that I had to. First thing pick a good battery box, perferably a good sealed one. Then you need to pick a good spot, most people will put it on the right side to counter act drivers weight. Most boxes you buy will come with enough cable usualy 1ot. I used a flaming river battery cut off switch and mounted it to the side of the box, you got to remember you are going to have a lot of power cable thats unfused so a cut off switch is a real smart investment when doing a relocation. On my stang everything runs off the silonoid, so I just had a power cable going from + post of the battery to the silonoid. Then I ran the - to a good body ground, and a 10ga to the pcm ground. I also mounted a 10lb Dry Chemical extinguisher in the trunk to. The DC's make a mess but they work good thats why I went with one, and if that cable ever does short out my cut off and extinguisher are right there so it works out well. I hope this helps a little, I think you will have to do a little more as far as running more than one power or a distribution block somewhere, and if this dosen't make much sense I'm sorry but I have been up all night at work, so you might have to drink a few beers to get down to my mentality right now lol. :nuts

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
one big fat wire from the battery to the starter and then a smaller 4ga wire from the starter to the fuse box.

thats it.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
crdcz03 said:
one big fat wire from the battery to the starter and then a smaller 4ga wire from the starter to the fuse box.

thats it.
Do WHAT?!

Don't you mean ALTERNATOR?

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
riptide101 said:
So how is the battery being charged. Maybe it's obvious but I don't get it.
Ditto.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
There HAS TO BE a connection from the alternator to the battery for your car to work. It is preferable that this is a LARGE connection, capable of handling a lot of current. The wire that goes to the starter should ALSO be large.

·
Registered
428 Posts
So you need 3 wires? One from battery to fuse box, one from battery to starter and one from battery to alternator? plus the grounds?

·
Registered
8,494 Posts
Nathan123 said:
There HAS TO BE a connection from the alternator to the battery for your car to work. It is preferable that this is a LARGE connection, capable of handling a lot of current. The wire that goes to the starter should ALSO be large.

especially if you are relocating the battery

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
riptide101 said:
So you need 3 wires? One from battery to fuse box, one from battery to starter and one from battery to alternator? plus the grounds?
No. The the fuse box's current draw should be minimal, so you can easily tap it from the alternator line. And there is no reason you can't run one BIG wire from the battery to the engine comp, then use a distribution block to go everywhere it needs to. That's how I would probably do it.

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
riptide101 said:
So how is the battery being charged. Maybe it's obvious but I don't get it.
i believe the alternator wire goes back to the fusebox. i really dont know. i searched and searched before i connected it and that is how h-t and a few peeps here said to do it.

i have never had a problem starting the car or with shit dimming on me at night with the headlights on and radio up.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
yup crdcz is right, the alternator connection goes to the fuse box, and after that i dont know

before i relocated my batt. there were 2 wires from the pos. terminal...a fat one to the starter, and a skinny one up to the fuse box. all i did was run a fat wire from the trunk to the starter, where i spliced on another wire that i ran to the fusebox where the old one was...car starts and charges battery just fine

ill go look up where the alt wire ends.............

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
TOP END MS said:
Ok so the battery wire will run to the starter .. now I just have to figure out the best way to wire up the fuse box.. :noo
8ga from the starter to the fusebox.

why do it any other way?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts