Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought some new F/B X-Drilled Brembo Rotors and Axxis Metal Master Pads for my 5th Gen and wanted to know what the proper way to bed in the brakes. The rotors state not to depress more than 3 senconds when newly installed.

How long do I wait?

What are the steps after installing?

Is this really required to prevent premature again or damage?

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
backyard ******* way... put car on blocks, one brick on accelerator, another on brake, e-brake halfway on... leave for 3 hours...

the proper way? well, just take it out slow, do some panic stops from about 25 mph and ride the brake a little till they have some bite... then just keep driving till they cool so they dont warp...

no biggie... mine always seem to bite right away... i'm just weird...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hobie237 said:
backyard ******* way... put car on blocks, one brick on accelerator, another on brake, e-brake halfway on... leave for 3 hours...

the proper way? well, just take it out slow, do some panic stops from about 25 mph and ride the brake a little till they have some bite... then just keep driving till they cool so they dont warp...

no biggie... mine always seem to bite right away... i'm just weird...
ha..ha....You forgot to mention my pregnant wife holding a 3 month old, smoking and calling out for Jr. thats runing around trying to knock over those blocks!!! :giggle

Anyways....thanks for the advice. My main concern was warping!

·
Registered
964 Posts
if you bought the breaks new then you should have a book that tells you to bring them to a certain temp then let cool 100% then do it again to a higher temp and os on and so forth. i have the erradfispeed rotors on myTA and i went faster and faster until they were totally bedded and they have never given me a prob.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cndctrdj said:
if you bought the breaks new then you should have a book that tells you to bring them to a certain temp then let cool 100% then do it again to a higher temp and os on and so forth. i have the erradfispeed rotors on myTA and i went faster and faster until they were totally bedded and they have never given me a prob.
Thanks...I havent opened my brakes, but I did open my rotors....sweet! :clap

Thanks for the info....

·
Registered
808 Posts
didnt mean to hijack your thread...but i just installed my cross-drilled rotors with pads...so let me get this straight...i'm suppose to not hold the brakes longer than 3 secs...and afterwards drive fast to cool them before coming to a stop and park?

all my homie told me was dont brake hard or else you're going to warp the rotors...so i've been braking very lightly...thats about it. any other suggestions?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
92Lude said:
didnt mean to hijack your thread...but i just installed my cross-drilled rotors with pads...so let me get this straight...i'm suppose to not hold the brakes longer than 3 secs...and afterwards drive fast to cool them before coming to a stop and park?

all my homie told me was dont brake hard or else you're going to warp the rotors...so i've been braking very lightly...thats about it. any other suggestions?
JACKER!!! JACKER!!!....Thats cool, it just brings more insight to the topic!

·
Registered
21,276 Posts
ecorona6 said:
JACKER!!! JACKER!!!....Thats cool, it just brings more insight to the topic!
its alot easier for people who might be doing this without reading all other bs.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
98Vtec said:
its alot easier for people who might be doing this without reading all other bs.
True....true.....but BS is what started Forums in the first place! :lol2

·
Registered
964 Posts
my brake kits said..................(not word for word but close enough)
#1 bring the car up to 40mph. hit brakes 1/4 pressure until 5mph. then let brakes cool down.

#2 40mph. brakes 1/4 tp 5mph then let cool down.

#3 60mph. brakes 1/4 down to 5mph. let cool down

#4 repeat #3

#5 60mph. brake 1/2 down to 5mph. let cool down

#6 60mph. brake 3/4 down to 5mph. let cool down

#7 60mph. brake 100% down to 5mph. let cool down

thier were a few more of these at 100% at diff higher speeds but they reccomend that at a track. the whole excercise is to heat up the rotors and pads a little bit and then let them cool down all the way. each time they heat up they set themselves together. the big thing is to let them cool down all the way in between. you dont come to a full stop so that there is as even a wear on the rotor all the way around as there can be without and hot pads sticking to one spot. if i can get my scanner working i can scan the whole baer bedding proccess up here for anyone.

just use this as a rough guidline. and be carefull

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cndctrdj said:
just use this as a rough guidline. and be carefull
Thanks...this is a huge help!

One question....to let the brakes/rotors cool down, do you let go of the brake at 5mph and let the car row until it stops? If so, how long do I wait until its completly cool (ball park)?

I guess thats two questions, but whos counting!

Reps for all! :clap

·
Registered
808 Posts
kool...i've been doing that and not even knowing it!! i only brake 1/4 but brake from far away to come to a rolling stop (if thats how you come to a stop *shrugs*). I havn't 100% brake yet...dont feel like its time...its over 100 miles now and it feels as though i've been braking 1/2 :confused

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
92Lude said:
kool...i've been doing that and not even knowing it!! i only brake 1/4 but brake from far away to come to a rolling stop (if thats how you come to a stop *shrugs*). I havn't 100% brake yet...dont feel like its time...its over 100 miles now and it feels as though i've been braking 1/2 :confused
I am no expert (hence, this forum), but you have surpassed the bedding in process. This process is to do immediately after the install. You should be stomping on those bad boys by now!

·
Registered
964 Posts
ecorona6 said:
Thanks...this is a huge help!

One question....to let the brakes/rotors cool down, do you let go of the brake at 5mph and let the car row until it stops? If so, how long do I wait until its completly cool (ball park)?

I guess thats two questions, but whos counting!

Reps for all! :clap

the cool down process all depends on the temp of the rotor. i drove around a parking lot and the back road that leads to the parking lot. i just slowed down most of the way and the rolled to a stop. let the car cool down for 10 min then did it again. it took me the best part of an hour but it worked great

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
So this should be done with any new pad/rotor setup?

I'm thinking about upgrading to some non-OE brake pads and maybe slotted rotors this spring.

For some reason it seems like I'm having increasing brake fade under moderate to hard braking... pissing me off.

~Peace

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
IHIPrelude94 said:
So this should be done with any new pad/rotor setup?

I'm thinking about upgrading to some non-OE brake pads and maybe slotted rotors this spring.

For some reason it seems like I'm having increasing brake fade under moderate to hard braking... pissing me off.

~Peace

any time you change the brakes out

1 - 17 of 17 Posts