Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, i come with a question. I have a d16y8 that has no head becuase i sent it to go get work done at the machine shop :D , but i just noticed something that scared me... i whent to move my car and forgot it was in gear when i whent to push it forward, so as a result my #1 cyl was not at tdc so i had to get it there again... as im playing with it i couldnt help but notice that my #4 cyl was slightly lower than my #1. Bent rod? i know d engines are known for having weak connecting rods. Btw, the #1 cyl is not at exact dead center, could that have something to do with it?

·
Registered
41,903 Posts
how was it running before you removed the head? and where did you hear D series have weak rods?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car was running fine, to make a long story short let me explain what happened. I let my cousin borrow my car and he managed to drive it into a puddle and well... my car didnt like it. im not going to blame him becuase i had put a CAI on the car a few days earlier but had bought the wrong size bypass valve. so after that happened the car was making alot of head noise, it didnt really have any power loss, but it was just loud. so i took the car my dad's mechanic to get the valves lashed... he fucked up... big time. :bash so now my head is in a machine shope getting the valves done and thats about it. the car was running smooth (pre-mechanic screw up) but just noisy, after that, it ran like shit and lost alot of power not to mention the fact that it would not idle... but I 'm pretty sure that was all becuase he didnt adjust the valves right.

·
Registered
41,903 Posts
If he sucked water up, he may have bent the rod.. Only way to really tell is to pull it apart and look.. But d series rods hold alot. Ive seen stock internals running alot of boost and nitrous holding up fine. The people who talk smack probably have altezza's and think the rev limiter is a shift light.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
you can put a dial gauge across the deck while the head is off and measure how high the pistons come up at tdc. #1 & #4 should be at the same height. If not, then a bent rod is *probably* the culprit.

If the rod is bent then just a matter of time before it takes the rest of the block with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.