Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I am wanting to have a bit better sound, but nothing extreme.

Infact, I would like to get an amp to power my stock 3way speakers in my car, and maybe add a small 8-10 inch sub.

Its going to be in a CRX, so there really isnt a need to get crazy with high end stuff.

What amp (preferrably low cost, nice quality) would you guys recommend?? Incase you dont know, I dont know JACK about amps, ohms, watts, etc.

The headunit i have now is the JVC KD-SH9700 mp3 player, and its a great unit....but I just want to add a bit more "umph" to it :)

·
Registered
7,456 Posts
i suggest you get aftermarket speakers if you want to put an amp to your system. I just got some CDT audio 6.5's from www.thezeb.com for 149 shipped. I'm not sure on which amp to hook up to them yet still looking... For the sub i would get maybe one 10" L7/L5.....Best bang for the buck amp for your sub i would recomend the jbl mono amp which can still be found at places for really cheap but has good power also.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I forgot to mention I have Pioneer 3 ways....I'll check the wattage

I asked the guy there to give me the best pair....I paid a pretty penny for them.

They are Pioneer 6.5 inch speakers

Now, I can replace my rear 6.5 speakers with 8 inch subs since there is enough room to add them.

If someone ever breaks into my car, I dont want them to have a field day with whatever I may have. I would rather have a poor man's setup that sounds pretty good than a high end setup.

He tried to sell me a brand named "Boss" and said it was good enough to do what I wanted but I held off and told him I wanted to get a second opinion.

Would I get a mono, 2 channel, 4 channel, or 5 channel?

Or could I let my headunit power my front 2 door speakers and get a 2 channel to power .....say.....a pair of 8 inch subs, or the pair I already have with a small boxed sub?

·
Registered
7,456 Posts
jessecrx said:

I asked the guy there to give me the best pair....I paid a pretty penny for them.

Now, I can replace my rear 6.5 speakers with 8 inch subs since there is enough room to add them.

If someone ever breaks into my car, I dont want them to have a field day with whatever I may have. I would rather have a poor man's setup that sounds pretty good than a high end setup.

He tried to sell me a brand named "Boss" and said it was good enough to do what I wanted but I held off and told him I wanted to get a second opinion.

Or could I let my headunit power my front 2 door speakers and get a 2 channel to power .....say.....a pair of 8 inch subs, or the pair I already have with a small boxed sub?
yes check the wattage and then pick an amp. You want a 2 channel amp for two 6.5's.... if you really don't want to spend that much i say skip the amp for the 6.5s since you won't be having that much bass and get an amp for some subs... that way you will have some bump and some decent sound coming out of your mids...

what subs do you have/want? or better yet what is your budget?

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
jessecrx said:

if you're not looking to spend a lot, you should just have your headunit power your pioneers, it puts out enough juice to do that. As far as an amp for the eights, go to www.ikesound.com and look at the JBL amps, IMO they are the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok....I'll let the head unit power my front 6.5's and get a 2 channel amp to power a set of 8 inch subs in the back.

Can anyone suggest a nice a nice pair of 8's??

My budget for everything would more than likely be under $300

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
the JBL 300.1 amp shipped to MY house is $145.00 from ikesound.com so that leaves 155 for subs, and from thezeb.com you can get 2 8" HED-8SVC subs which are rated at 150 watts RMS for 69.99 a piece and shipping is free. So if you ran the speakers in parallel it'll give you a 2ohm load to the amp, producing 300 watts, which means 150 watts to each sub.

·
Registered
7,456 Posts
GScivic7 said:
the JBL 300.1 amp shipped to MY house is $145.00 from ikesound.com so that leaves 155 for subs, and from thezeb.com you can get 2 8" HED-8SVC subs which are rated at 150 watts RMS for 69.99 a piece and shipping is free. So if you ran the speakers in parallel it'll give you a 2ohm load to the amp, producing 300 watts, which means 150 watts to each sub.
those prices seem about right..... but imo i would get one decent 10" instead of two 8"......

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, so one decent 10 and let the amp power the sub alone while the headunit powers my 6.5's right?

Also, will I notice a difference if I upgrade the speaker wire?? My brother has a crapload of really thick quality speaker wire.

Will I have to worry about the lights dimming? Any damage to my alternator or anything like that?

Thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
7,456 Posts
jessecrx said:
Ok, so one decent 10 and let the amp power the sub alone while the headunit powers my 6.5's right?

Also, will I notice a difference if I upgrade the speaker wire?? My brother has a crapload of really thick quality speaker wire.

Will I have to worry about the lights dimming? Any damage to my alternator or anything like that?

Thanks for all the advice.
yes 1 sub powered by one amp and you might have money left over for a little amp for your 6.5's too..... wire thickness matters alittle with flow of currency and signal but its not like it will make a HUGE difference. Its not a bad thing to have thick speaker wire. Your lights won't dim with just a 300 watt amp... at least i don't think so.. your alternator will be fine also...

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cool. I am going to shop around at the local mom and pop audio shops and look for those brands you guys mentioned. I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

·
Registered
7,456 Posts
jessecrx said:
Cool. I am going to shop around at the local mom and pop audio shops and look for those brands you guys mentioned. I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
dude get it from the websites we listed... they are the biggest audio websites on the net... you will spend like 50% more at a local shop... try it out i guess.. but if you don't find a good deal check out www.thezeb.com or www.ikesound.com

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.