Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have an 01 GSR. What's the best camshaft and camgears out there and still be somewhat street legal?
I was thinking crower camshafts stage 2, and some skunk2 camgears. I am trying to go all motor but may switch to NOS. Im definite it with be one of the two.

Also are CTR camshafts and camgears really that good? Some people said CTR would be better than if getting Crower and Skunk2 parts. Just curious..... If someone can provide a dyno please do!!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
i think a lot of the CTR cam popularity comes from the fact that they are oem honda parts.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
If you want reliable and street-legal cams than theres nothing better than OEM:D No valvetrain upgrade or extra expenses are needed...you can also check out skunk2 stage I cams.

The CTR/ITR cams give good midrange power...their profiles were based on that of a track car. Nice low-end with max power in the mid.

Skunk2's or another wild cam make power throuh revving...a compromise of low-end but gains towards 6k+

Here's a dyno:

i/h/e...ITR intake cam only with cam tuning.

8 hp gain

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Heres a dyno with CTR intake cam and stock exhaust GS_R cam:

an 11 hp gain

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
keep in mind your i/h/e setup will affect hp gains as well tuning and such.

As for the cam gears, skunk2 sells good, yet cheap 6-bolt design cam gears. Try to stay away with cam gears w/ 3 bolt designs...some have experienced slippage and such.

Heres a gs-r fully built n/a motor:

Integra Type-R Airbox & Comptech Air Filter
Integra Type-R 62mm Throttle Body
Integra Type-R Intake Manifold
Integra Type-R Outer Valve Springs
Portflow Inner Valve Springs
Skunk2 Adjustable Cam Gears
Civic Type-R Camshafts
Integra Type-R Pistons & Rings USDM 10:6c/r
ARP Rod Bolts
Integra Type-R 4-1 Stainless Steel Header
Godspeed Test Pipe