Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys whats the best ecu to use with my ls/vtec swap my engine is the b18a1 and the head i believe is obd1 or obd0 anyways what ecu would be the best to use with this set up in my 89 hatchback

·
Registered
496 Posts
You will want the PR3 from the 89-91 JDM Integra XSi or the PW0 from the 89-91 JDM Civic/CRX SiR. Both of these ecus are OBD-0 and were made to run the first gen. B16a. Your cabin harness should plug right into either of these ecus, and then you'll just need an OBD-0 vtec wiring harness, or just wire vtec in separately. Good luck. If you have trouble finding an ecu or harness, let me know and i'll see if i can help you out.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you very much guy which ecu do you think would be better for me i mainly am going to use it for drag racing and am planning on running nitrous with it but also gonna be daily driven thx again guy thx ray.

·
Registered
496 Posts
as far as i know, these two ecus are basically identical, they are from the same years, and used for the B16, and both cars were rated at the same hp. Either one, which ever one you find for a better price i would say. I know that Hondata doesn't support either of these ecus anymore, but i know you can still get them chipped. The other option you'd have is to get an OBD-0 to OBD-1 conversion harness, then you could run the P28 ecu from the 92-95 USDM Civic EX/Si (D16z6)or th P30 from the USDM Del Sol VTEC (B16a). For the P28 You would want to get it reprogrammed for DOHC though, and Hondata does support the P28 and the P30. That might actually be a better route if you plan on doing dyno tuning and things like that.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do you know where i can get a obdo to obd1 harness from.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I would recommend the P30 ecu from the del Sol VTEC, because it was designed for a DOHC VTEC engine, and you have more tuning options with an OBD-1 ecu than with an OBD-0 (PR3/PW0). Good luck with the swap and engine build. Once again if you have any trouble finding parts that you need, let me know.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thx a million man for going thru all the trouble i appreciate it and im sure ill have a ton of questions once i start thx again ray.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
ray ray said:
do you know where i can get a obdo to obd1 harness from.
i can get one from import powerhouse if you want it? i'm like an hour away from you? i can most likely get you a p28 or if you want to get one from import powerhouse that chip but there are kinda expensive like 300

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Do some more research also because most DOHC VTEC ecus require knock sensor. Of course tuning with nitrous it might be a good idea to have one, but if you don't plan to use one check to make sure if you use a B16 ecu that your tuning software allows you to disable the knock feature. Otherwise, that's why a P28 is good for any setup since it doesn't have knock sensor in it you can ignore that.

·
Registered
496 Posts
You can wire the knock sensor, that's what i did for my swap. It's a good idea in my opinion to get a knock sensor if you don't have one, and to wire it in.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Any obd1 civc/integra ecu can be chipped to run VTEC. PR4, P05, P06, P09, P28, P30, P61, P73 etc...

All of these ecus come with one of the following boards:

02D01720-1500

02D011F0-1500

02D01980-1500

These "pcbs" are all similar and only need componets added to them to run various Vtec engine systems, like IAB for H22 or B18C motors and so on. However if you dont know anyone who can chip computers or modify them, just go with a chipped P28 or P30.

You can get the harness from JDMshit.com for 110 shipped.
You will also need a obd1 distributor, injectors and various obd1 engine harness connectors.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts