Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
best header for performance opinions needed

Okay being that im goin allmotor im looking to go all out with bolt-ons and minor headwork But theres one final thing it somes down to. Im looking for a header now im sure you guys heard of smsp,anr,headertech,hotshot,greddy, dc- oh no!

Which one would be good for this setup. Im getting skunk2 stage2 camshafts,valvesprings,retainers,skunk2 camgears,portmatching the head ,with hondata thinner headgasket im looking for 200 to the wheels. which header should i choose that would be best for it.:eek:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Are you gonna drag race, or do you want a street car? If you are draggin', get a 4-to-1 pipe. For street, 4-2-1. I use DC Sports Ceramic Coated. Love it!! Big gains on the dyno, despite the opinion to the contrary of many in here. A good 6.5 HP (of course, that was when I was running only with I/E).

·
Registered
814 Posts
not only will that smsp header run you well over 1200 dollars, it will take at least 6 months to get made and sent to you... it promises the biggest gains though, it has been dyno proven to make over 200whp in a 4th gen prelude with nothing more than an intake and pulleys... you can find the guy who makes the header on h-t...

the an-r/prospeed equal lenght looks cool, sounds promising, and promises to clear the crossmember... it is priced slightly lower than the smsp piece, but i have yet to see a dyno...

havent heard much on the headertech piece...

the hotshot header is old news, it will not fit in a prelude, the header was designed for hybrid civics with h22's...

dc is junk, so is the kamikazi...

i like the greddy, it is what i have in the car now... still looks good, great gains, my car runs 13's with no internal work whatsoever, my car puts down 185whp...

the only other header you didnt mention is the new hytech piece, which looks a lot like the mugen header, minus the bling... again, i dont know of anyone using the piece, nor have i seen a dyno...

·
Registered
524 Posts
You get what you pay for, with a 01 lude, dc headers will get you 2-5 whp, dyno proven everywhere, search. And they will look like shit within a years use. They have also been known to frequently crack. Must I go any further, Btw- I love the way a mugen header still looks clean after 3+ years////

·
Registered
601 Posts
Here is the an-r header. I emailed them a few weeks ago about the differences in their collectors, the street and merge, but I'm yet to get a reply. I'll shoot them another one here in a minute. All the headers are hand made to order and it usually takes about three weeks to make it. My buddy got one of these for his b18 rally car and says it's the best one he's used. The prices are:

$530 shipped street collector
$730 shipped merge collector
+$180 ceramic coating
+$250 stainless steel

According to them, this header will fit in a 4th gen with AC and its *possible* you might have to shave the cross member a little bit. If I wasn't looking to sell my car, one of these would be on order here real soon, along with a custom test pipe reducer. The header in the pictures was a custom job for a drag only application.

·
Registered
448 Posts
BIRDMAN said:
Are you on crack? You can't call DC 'junk' just because it's not custom hand-crafted for $1200. It's a decent piece for a decent price. No, not the best, but certainly not 'junk.'
I guess I underestimated your stupidity in the intake thread :p

·
Registered
601 Posts
300hplude01 said:
hands down, smsp is the best as far as gains go.
have you ever seen an AN-R dyno? no, and neither have i. SMSP doesnt even have equal length runners. just because it costs 2-3 times more than other headers doesnt make it the best. spoon shit is extremely expensive and most of their stuff is crap compared to others.

anyways i got the email back from an-r about the street and merge collectors. here ya go!

"Our street collector is our "basis" collector design which unites the area where the four pipes meet with a plate. the merge collector, as seen in the pic i have attached, requires more labor time but incorporating a "peak" where the four pipes meet. this peak's spec varies from different fabricator and we have found the best angle for honda motors. The merge collector combines high flow and high velocity to increase and broaden an engine's
torque curve all the way to horsepower peak and beyond.
As far as performance difference between the two collectors goes, the difference on a STOCK motor is only about 2whp difference, which is the reason why we normally recommend the street collector to most customers. Customers with high modified engine with high compression would benefit more from the merge collector, because you will see better hp figures in the high rpm range which would benefit you greatly on the dragstrip. Keep in mind though that our street collector is a very well designed collector also and beats the majority of collectors currently on the market right now.

Giang
www.AN-R.com"

1 - 20 of 215 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.