Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

best head unit???? Help

2K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  lilric 
#1 ·
I just got my eclipse head unit stolen and i am looking for a new one. The idiots cut off the cd key thing so they cant use it. Anyways, wat do you guys think is the best one out there? I want the cheapest one i can get with the best quality. I dont care much about looks just quality. My limit is up to 1g but the less the better. What do you guys think? Pleaze help. Thanks

#6 ·
Nakamichi 45z - on par with the 5441 from Eclipse. Very clean signal - about 320 on the net.

The Nak 40z can be had for much less, but doesn't have the same highquality DAC's as the 45z.

Don't let the subdued looks of these heads fool you, they are excellent.

The only other decks that I would look at, are the clarion on Crutchfield for about 300. No internal amp, and dual 24 bit dac's :)

Other than that, Eclipse is top dog.

#10 ·
I prefer the Eclipse for the sound quality. The key CD doesn't guarantee against it being ripped-off but it does make it worthless to the scumbag that steals it.

#11 ·
the nakas mentioned has some very good sound quality also. but what type of features are you looking? internal amp? 3 rcas? high voltage out? the cd key on the eclipse is good and all but only if they had a detachable face. that would usually send thieves away. even though they can't use the eclipse without a key, they still broke the window and dash and whatever else to get in the car.
-brian

#12 ·
For me personally i need 3 sets of RCAS, full control over each set so i can play with my 2 amps, one for the inside speakers and one for the subs. Need it to ahve some GOOD RCA voltage as well, like 5volts. I was thinking the eclipse 5441. dont like the nak-45z that much.

#13 ·
y dont u claim w/ eclipse and try to get your free headunit? if you bought from a authorized dealer and installed by authorized dealer eclipse will get u a free headunit. If not, since you're willing to spend $1000 why not pick up a screen like a alpine CVA or IVA? If you want the most sonically best sounding headunit, i'd have to say nakamichi. Only prob is the headunits got no functions to it, holds only 1 cd and cost about 2g's =(

#14 ·
see_fu said:
y dont u claim w/ eclipse and try to get your free headunit? if you bought from a authorized dealer and installed by authorized dealer eclipse will get u a free headunit. If not, since you're willing to spend $1000 why not pick up a screen like a alpine CVA or IVA? If you want the most sonically best sounding headunit, i'd have to say nakamichi. Only prob is the headunits got no functions to it, holds only 1 cd and cost about 2g's =(

The Nak is around 330 online. It's got a 3 band EQ, Sub control, 4V preouts, changer control, and a remote. Seems pretty well featured to me. The only thing it isn't, is flashy. It cuts away all the fat, and give just SQ. It also attracts virtually no attention from thieves...it looks almost stock. That's one reason I really like it.

Nak's used to be uber expensive, but they have dropped dramatically in price. Especially because of the 'net.

#15 ·
rcurley55 said:

The Nak is around 330 online. It's got a 3 band EQ, Sub control, 4V preouts, changer control, and a remote. Seems pretty well featured to me. The only thing it isn't, is flashy. It cuts away all the fat, and give just SQ. It also attracts virtually no attention from thieves...it looks almost stock. That's one reason I really like it.

Nak's used to be uber expensive, but they have dropped dramatically in price. Especially because of the 'net.
which are u looking at?

#16 ·
Well I've had a Nak. First the 40 then the 45. Yes they are damn good headunits. Cosmetics pissed my off though. Nothing there at all. But still sounds good! Not my choice though.

Had eclipse also. Good headunits not to much skipping, by the way the NAk didn't skip. Clarity was good, the 55090 is still one of the best, but something about them was buggin the hell out of me. So I went and tried a Clarion......

Ahhh I feel so much better. The clarity is excellent, bass and treble are very distinct. I think it has 4 preouts, but I'm possitive it has 3. Oh did I forget to mention the DSP. The other clarions can have one added on, but the 9675(the one I'm a proud owner of) has it built in. Oh yeah there's a a 64 bit screensaver(but I have to admit those bore me now), seat and time alignment, built in equalizer, and sub control. It really is one of the best units I've had. If you hurry you can catch them at a great discontinued price(sounddomain. com has them i think.). They are now being replaced, the new ones have had the screensaver pulled, but they threw in more equalization and you can attach the dvd changer now with no extra hassles.

But no matter what I say or anyone says for that matter, you just need to grab one of your favorite cd's and go to your local dealer and blast it,play with it, what ever it takes but use your own ears.

Have fun.

#17 ·
For those who have had there system for more than and month and think a removable face is a deterant to having the head unit stolen; where do you store it when you take it off. Is it in the glovebox, under the seat or in the trunk. I don't know anyone who continues carrying the face with them; but, there may be a few. I'll stick with my elclipse.

So long as you buy it and have it installed by a registered dealer/installer and the dealer registers the ESN it is protected against theft. :)

#19 ·
Thanks for all of your replies. I loved my eclipse but it skipped a lot. Thats why i was going to try something else. I was looking at the nakamichi's but they are so ugly. There nice and simple but i just hate how they look. I listined to one and it sounded great. So i was thinking of the alpine, premier, or clarion. I wanted the 3rcas since i have amps subs and speakers. I dont care for other features as much but will be nice.
Thanks for all of the nice info. If you have more please help me out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.