Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying a laptop very soon. I'm shopping at Bust Buy/Circuit City and it seems the only three manufactures to choose from are HP, Dell, and Toshiba.

Anyone with technological/personal experience, I'm asking for your advice: which one would be most dependable and the best bang for my buck?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
lyon_hart said:
I'm considering buying a laptop very soon. I'm shopping at Bust Buy/Circuit City and it seems the only three manufactures to choose from are HP, Dell, and Toshiba.

Anyone with technological/personal experience, I'm asking for your advice: which one would be most dependable and the best bang for my buck?

Thank you in advance!
with my eyes closed I can say Toshiba, HP and Dell are cheaper but Toshiba has been reliable so far to me

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
i have a dell and got it for $900. inspiron 8600, 15.4", 1.5ghz pentium M, 512mb ram, 60gb hd, 128mb ATI radeon 9600 mobile, dvd/cd burner.

lots of people say toshiba is good. but if you're looking for the best bang for your bucks then it would be a dell. the option to configure your laptop is also a plus. if you have the option try getting an SXGA screen instead of an XGA(which pretty much come standard). sxga will be brighter and have a bigger resolution. its worth the $50 bucks upgrade on dell imo if you're the type of person that wants good picture quality.

hp/compaq is coming out with nicer designs now but i don't know how sturdy they are. stay away from emachine. a friend of mine had an emachine and the hinge started to crack after a few months.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
every once in a while, dell will give out something like 750 off a 1500 dollar on their notebooks (after taxes, shipping, extra config, it usually comes to about 900), get one then. you really cant beat it for the price.

·
Young&Dangerous
10,160 Posts
Get a dell! I have a Latitude D800 1.6M with 1g Ram! All i can say is nice with the wide screen!but sum time i wish i have a smaller one like the D600! Did not pay for it so I cant complan!

Inspiron are POS,dont get them! IF your going with Dell then a Latitude is your best bet!

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Toshiba all the way. I still have satellites kickin around here that are p2's and they run perfect after 6 or 7 years :tu

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
:stupid
logikal x said:
Toshiba all the way. I still have satellites kickin around here that are p2's and they run perfect after 6 or 7 years :tu

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Type_SH RaCer said:
Get a dell! I have a Latitude D800 1.6M with 1g Ram! All i can say is nice with the wide screen!but sum time i wish i have a smaller one like the D600! Did not pay for it so I cant complan!

Inspiron are POS,dont get them! IF your going with Dell then a Latitude is your best bet!
How do you figure? My Inspiron 9100 seems to get the job done and then some. :confused Definatley on the bloated side but then again they use a desktop p4 processor

·
Young&Dangerous
10,160 Posts
teg711 said:
How do you figure? My Inspiron 9100 seems to get the job done and then some. :confused Definatley on the bloated side but then again they use a desktop p4 processor

I just never like them...seems like dell dident spend a lot of time developing them (the shell)! In any case we all know that extra memory will alway help!

Any laptop will get the job done!

It uses an M Processo not a p4!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Type_SH RaCer said:
I just never like them...seems like dell dident spend a lot of time developing them (the shell)! In any case we all know that extra memory will alway help!

my inspiron uses the pent M chip. like IntegraTypeRS posted, i got one similar with around 800-900 after tax. dell may not be the best but it is great bang for the buck as they have deals on it quite often. mines last about 4hrs on the battery. nice laptop id say.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Type_SH RaCer said:

My shell is solid ;) Oh well, to each their own.

Oh, btw, it is definately a p4, check out the Inspiron XPS which is the same exact platform since they no longer make my 9100.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I would get a laptop with Pentium-M instead of a Celeron or Pentium 4. battery life is 4hrs average.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
IntegraTypeRS said:
I would get a laptop with Pentium-M instead of a Celeron or Pentium 4. battery life is 4hrs average.

Yeah DO NOT get anything with a celeron, they are slo

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
yea. definitely try to find some deals with pentium M chip. much faster, runs cooler, and longer battery life.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts