Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a automatic 2.3L 98 Accord ex and I was wondering what the best modifications would be to improve gas mileage for the money. I definately want to get an intake, but I wanted to hear opinions on specific parts. I would rather have more low-mid torque than more peak hp. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
682 Posts
from what i understand if u get a intake u will gain mileage per gallon, but i dont know if it is true for the short ram or the cold air intake, cause on a cold air u loose a little bottom end and that might not be what u are looking for.... as for other stuff, i know exhaust helps for sure....

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
new spark plugs and wires, (although this issue is debated still :rolleyes ) New catalytic converter, cat back exaust maybe, new fuel injectors or clean them. Theres also alot of simple stuff like tire pressure, a good maintained engine. Blah blah blah

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I'm only half joking here....
The best gas-mileage mod for your money is to strip everything out of your car that you don't need. Take out the spare, drain unnecessary fluids, remove cruise control, A/C, seats, door panels, etc.
You can shed 150lbs easy and it's free!

Every other mod (intake, exhaust, etc) will get you better mileage while driving aggressively, but it doesn't necessarily help you in average driving.
Also note that if you replace the header you'll save a lot of weight ... exhaust has potential to reduce your weight a lot too, especially with the titanium units they have for sale nowadays. They're expensive though.

If your wires, plugs, air filter, oil, etc are clean and in good working order you'd be hard pressed to see any mileage gain from swapping them out.

Besides weight reductions just drive conservatively. As my roommate says when he sees reports on hybrids like the Prius...
"Fuck that, I'd get 45mpg too if I took 10 seconds to go from 0 to 60."
:D

·
Registered
772 Posts
get a k&n drop in air filter and remove the resonator works wonders, i gained 1-2 extra miles per gallon. get some pullies full exhaust i.e apex ws or greedy sp.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
stock tires inflated to 1 psi above recommended!

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
get a smaller diameter intake, a smaller diameter exhaust, a less aggressive camshaft, lower compression pistons. those are all gas saving modifications :tu

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
hahah here is reality bud, you put an intake, header, and exaust and i guarantee you that your foot will get heavier and you would want to pound the gas MORE and MORE lol.

tune up would be better IMO..

oh and im not making fun of you...i just think of mods now as a trade off...im the ass who put an intake in my van :clap

honda made parts restrictive i think so that you get better gas milage though...just something to think about

1 - 9 of 9 Posts