Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What motor will fit in a 97 Del sol S, under 1500 bucks? I need something thats quick, but not to fast. Just want a good motor, not the slow ass d16y7 that was in it!

Any good place to find one also?

Im in milwaukee if anyones got a nice motor for sale

· Registered
260 Posts
Dude, you need to do alot of research before you start your own threads. FAQ, GOOGLE. Go buy the book Honda Engine Swaps by aaron bonk. its worth its weight in gold, trust me I just got my copy.

· Registered
86 Posts
WORK STUDY + ME = SUPER HONDA FORUM and GETTIN PAID. LOL. MINIMUM WAGE THOUGH

Dude, you need to do alot of research before you start your own threads. FAQ, GOOGLE. Go buy the book Honda Engine Swaps by aaron bonk. its worth its weight in gold, trust me I just got my copy.
Hey man, thanks for the info on Honda Engine Swaps....I know it's not my thread but just the info alone to me is worth in gold. thanks.

· Registered
44 Posts
Go with the B18 its your best choice. its a easy swap, good power and nice torque.It should fit right in, since the B16 came stock in certain models.
you will need a tranny for it and a wiring harness conversion. from D to B, and an ECU :( so i guess after adding all that up.. u best go with the same old Dirty D if u want it for under 1500

· Registered
86 Posts
Go with the B18 its your best choice. its a easy swap, good power and nice torque.It should fit right in, since the B16 came stock in certain models.
you will need a tranny for it and a wiring harness conversion. from D to B, and an ECU :( so i guess after adding all that up.. u best go with the same old Dirty D if u want it for under 1500
The one I have in my '95 Del Sol S (s for slow) lol, is a D15B7 - 1.5L SOHC 16 Valve,

Would a D15z1 1.5L SOHC 16 Valve VTEC-E or D16Z6 1.6L SOHC VTEC [straight from the Haynes Manual. lol] fit in place.
Also which one would you guys go with, considering my one is an auto...or would you not even bother. ECU Upgrade needed with that or not?

Got a quote on the engines, the guys at gotengines quoted between $700 to $1200 depending on which motor Plus Delivery (but they did mention that this is the price while supplies are in stock). If you are wondering: 1-877-268-0664 (NO! Before someone says it, I am not promoting or selling these guys. Just trying to make it easier if you want to call)
I know eBay is cheaper sometimes but it's a hit or miss deal.
I don't really want to mess with the motor without knowing anything cuz I myself am new to this stuff, but loving every moment of it.

· Registered
478 Posts
Hoerter,
What you want is the D16y8, its similar to the y7 you have but it has vtec and a little better performance. You will need to replace the ecu when you do the swap but they are widely available. You may need to run one wire from the ECU to the VTEC solenoid on the head but other than that everything else should bolt and plug in. It won't be a huge performance increase but it will be something. I think the performance figures are on Wikipedia's Honda D engine page. Good luck with the swap its a good start. Also I think that if your block is good you can just swap the top end for the same gains. That is refered to as a mini me swap and you can learn a lot about it by searching for that.

· Registered
10,272 Posts
Best in that pricerange would be a b18b or b20b/z

Also in the future you have the option of swapping on a VTEC head which can make pretty good power...

· Registered
12,453 Posts
W I need something thats quick, but not to fast. J
Any good place to find one also?

Im in milwaukee if anyones got a nice motor for sale
:hehe Quick but not fast? Its a Honda, for 1500 bucks, you wont be going anywhere very fast:hehe

But seriously? Get a d and boost it with that money if you want as much HP as you can muster from something. But if you want a good all around, get a B series swap, but 1500 might be cuttin it close budget wise.

I have a blown D16a6 you could have for like $100 bucks if you wanna re-build and boost that, lol.

· Registered
478 Posts
D15B SOHC VTEC Longblock Will fit. Easy
The B series will fit with slight modifications. (It will probably be out of your price range though
don't even think about the blue top.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.