Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what's a good mp3 playable deck for 500? my old one got stolen.... haven' kept up with what's new since i got my old one 2 years ago. it was an alpine cda 7864.

i'm running 2 us acoustics amps (1 base, 1 for mids/highs)
alpine 6x9's, 5'1/4"s, and tweets
10 in L7 solo baric
some old school lightnng cap.

i just wanna know what's out now that would sound good thx

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have the rockford fostgate mp3, and I love it. Other good brands are panasonic, kenwood, clarion, I think eclipse has one, pioneer, sony, oh and the Japanese Vacuum Cleaner. You just have search, read up on them, see if they have what you are look for, and compare with others. You could read about them on crutchfield.com and shop for them on ebay, if you like.:D

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
///Alpine has a new one now ...........sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I've got the JVC KD-SH99. I got it for $280 brand new off Ebay. I've had it for about 3 months, I am very pleased, it's very flexible platform and to tell you the truth i haven't even tried everything that the instructions say it can do.

Check the link in my sig, there's a pic at the bottom of the gallery page.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i'm gonna look into the JVC and Kenwood decks

what model was that alpine deck that out now? i really like the sound of the alpine i had.

thx for the suggestions guys... keep the ideas comin

·
Registered
99 Posts
Check out the JVC. You can't beat it for the price. It's sleek, has exceptional features and is extremely easy to use. Almost all of the functions are on the left side. I picked mine up from one of those yahoo shops. Only $269 shipped and I had it within 2 days!

·
Registered
23 Posts
best one is the riocar mp3 player. it uses a hard drive and and has over 80 visuals. it also has play lists and everything its almost like having winamp in your car. right now i have over 50 albums in my car in the size of a single din. and still have 20 gigs of free space. only bad thing its hard getting this product. very limited but NOTHING beats period.

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
i have a good friend in the stereo biz, he said that the JVC is cleaner than the eclipse decks, and i believe it, CD's play soooo loud and clear..i love it

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'll give one more vote for the Riocar. Unfortunately Sonic Blue has discontinued production and they are all sold out. If you really want one they can still be found on Ebay though. If you get one you will have to have an amp as it has no amp built in and you'll have to give up the radio also unless you can get the optional radio tuner add on which might be tough to find by now. As a player though it is unmatched in storage and capability, you could literally put your entire cd collection on it even if you have like 400 cds or something, and you could always upgrade its storage space by getting a larger hard drive (it uses standard laptop drives) If you have a double din slot in your car you can put it in there with another regular deck with aux inputs and then have a amp, radio, cd player, or whatever.

There is also another hard drive based player out there called the Neo 35, it has similar capabilities as the Riocar, but I don’t know much about it as far as quality.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i'm looking for a balance between options and funtions/ sound performance. i have 2 amps in my ride right now.... my system was basically built the way i wanted it... till my deck got jacked.... so that's my situation

how much to the riocar go for??

jvc beats out eclipse?? wow, i've always thought that eclipse was a high end brand name...

but i'll definitely look at the jvc.

lastly, what do you guys think of the kenwood eXcelon KDC-x859? or the KDC-719? i'm looking at crutchfield right now and those look good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The only place that I know that you can still get a Riocar is Ebay. I got mine for just under 300 but that was a while back when they were still available from Sonicblue. I'm guessing that you'd probably pay 500+ for one now and if you wanted it to do anything EXCEPT play mp3s you'd have to pair it up with another deck of some sort. It's a badass player but then again it will probably only be a matter of time before someone comes out with something thats just as good without the disadanvtages that come with the Riocar.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i dout anything will ever be like the riocar. This thing is extremely sophisticated. IT IS a small computer in a din size shape. Its running of LINUX OS system. has space for TWO laptop size hard drives so space will never be a problem. it has a 20 band equalizer. it comes with over 90 visuals and they are still updating it and making more. theres a bunch of programs people are writing for the player. as of right now i have a visual where it pans around a picture of my car!. You could also do playlists for instance i have different categorys and sub categorys. Rap albums, insturmentals, R&B, and so on. the only disadvantage i see with the riocar is you have to have externel amp. but think about it you want to get an amp anyway cause its better then using a face as your amp. unless you get another face for it it doesnt come with FM Tuner. but you have over 10000 songs in your car and you want to listen to the FM Tuner? there is a tuner part you can get for the car but its hard to find. I plan to had a Indash Monitor dvd player Single din and connect it to the aux in of the riocar. then i'll have everything covered.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah I doubt that anything will be open source like the Riocar, but it wouldn't surprise me if someone tried to match the capacity by incorporating hard drives into their design. As a matter of fact Pioneer is bringing out with a deck soon with a 10gb hard drive in it the DEH-P90HDD. I don't think that this particular deck is nearly as good as a Riocar since I think that you have to do all the ripping on the deck itself rather than connection it to a computer plus their MSRP is $2100 but, it does show the direction that at least Pioneer is going with their new decks. If the design is successful you can bet that the other companys will try to copy that idea as well and eventually more features will pop up and filter down to the lesser priced models.

As of right now though, the Riocar is the best you can get that I know of, my chief complaint would be the lack of the tuner which I like to have to listen to traffic reports but if you never listen to the radio (or have the space to install another deck with a radio to aux into it) and already have the amp then its worth getting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nope, no cds, no radio unless you can find the add on radio tuner, which might be tough. You can run it through a deck with a tuner on it though if it has aux inputs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts