Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i am going to go look at civics soon and want to know witch has the best engine to do a turbo setup with i want to stay under 97 i will most likely take the engine out and rebuild it all seals everything and then add turbo i want to know what will be the cheapest car with the best engine to accomidate the turbo.. for the car im looking to spend like 5k and turbo and 2k tops how much boost should i run and i whould like it be to vtec if that works well let me know what will work out the best... thanks and hope to hear good news

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
Give us an idea of how much power you want to make and what you want to do with the car.

Either the b18b1 or d16z6/y8 turbo setup would be a good way to go. Personally, I might opt for the d16. You could rebuild it for less than the cost of adding a b18. Only downside of the d16 is that it has long gears in the tranny, but gearing is about the same as those in the stock b18b1 tranny.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Project Blacky...

do what we did for blacky.. 93 civic si (hatch)..$1400.00, Drag 3 turbo...$2000.00(we got a kick ass deal)...apexi vtec controller...$250.00, aem fuel regulator and fuel rail...$250-$300.00, HKS SSQ BOV...$175-$200.00..one hour of dyno tune..$100.00....need peole that know their stuff...invest in a really good exhaust..( i think apexi N1 is pretty good..)..and i think that's all...oh and new tires within two months....if you're the crazy kind...if i'm missing out stuff i think the other guys can cover me..

OR

97 civic hatch, for about $4-5k(depends..dont get from dealer...cuz they charge $6-10k), and get the edelbrock kit for about $3-3500k. You're set!

OR

92-97 civic hatch, ls swap or b20 swap, TURBO..and you'll be pretty fast..hey if you do this find cheezefrog(spelling)and see if you can beat him!!!:lol2:

ok..i think i've given enough info..i shut up now..

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I want a system that is still a daily driver but can run 13/s or high 14/s mabie??... Hatback whould be awsome but i want to best and cheapest engine setup. Can i get a junk engine hatback with high miles and i will get the engine rebuilt and add turbo?... what whould that run?... i know the turbo alone is 3k at least then headers and controller. Is there a stock engine that i could use that has vtec? How many horsepower whould it take to get a hatch to do mid 13's? many many questions...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Project Blacky...

hondactr said:
do what we did for blacky.. 93 civic si (hatch)..$1400.00, Drag 3 turbo...$2000.00(we got a kick ass deal)...apexi vtec controller...$250.00, aem fuel regulator and fuel rail...$250-$300.00, HKS SSQ BOV...$175-$200.00..one hour of dyno tune..$100.00....need peole that know their stuff...invest in a really good exhaust..( i think apexi N1 is pretty good..)..and i think that's all...oh and new tires within two months....if you're the crazy kind...if i'm missing out stuff i think the other guys can cover me..
93 civic si (hatch)..$1400.00 that Cheap?... with good engine?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Re: Re: Project Blacky...

GreenLantern said:
93 civic si (hatch)..$1400.00 that Cheap?... with good engine?
yea, it came with an exhaust and aem sr intake, it was a trade-in for honda so instead they called us and said $1700.00 for it, we said $1400 and we'll give you the money now...they said cool...the motor came with 135,xxx miles on it, we didnt do much to the inside of the motor, to tell you the truth it was a pretty good motor...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so its a toss up between a b18 or b16.. ? is there a year of hatch's that come with these engines already...? that way i can just take it out and rebuild it and then slap in turbo?.. is it a good idead to get the new fuel rail? i thought you only needed it for anything over 200hp or sumnthin? im tryin to shoot for low 13's with turbo.. i already know im gonna get new cams (not shure witch ones) and lightweight flywheel and mabie a superslim radiator? what do you think? and how bad is mpg gonna hurt with turbo?

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
All US hatches came with d-series engines. I would go for the b18, but b16 wouldn't hurt either. Don't bother with cams. You don't need a fuel rail till around 300hp. Don't bother with a superslim radiator. If you get a hatch without AC, then get a teg front radiator, or a fluidyne. Add a FAL fan and you will be set. The turbo shouldn't hurt the gas mileage much.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I live in florida to hot to not have a a/c. What year of hatch came with b16 thinking 92-95? i want to find a junkyard b16 or 18 and rebuild it.. i just need to know what car i need to look for... thanks for all the info and help...

·
Registered
39 Posts
GreenLantern said:
I live in florida to hot to not have a a/c. What year of hatch came with b16 thinking 92-95? i want to find a junkyard b16 or 18 and rebuild it.. i just need to know what car i need to look for... thanks for all the info and help...
like kommon_sense sed, no usdm hatches came with a b16. they all came stock with d-series engines.
the only hatches that came with b16 engines, were the jdm 89-95 sir hatches (you'd have to get the engines imported)
the only US cars that came with b16's were the 94-97 vtec delso's and the 99-00 civic si(r)'s

while several dif. b18's came from integs.
b18a for the 90-93's
b18b for the 94-00's
b18c1 for the 94-00 gsr's and
b18c5 for the type r's

next time you should just do a search.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.