Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do you think is the best tranny i should get for a b20z. i'm planning to get turbo after the swap but that's way after so at first i was planning just to get a LS tranny. But I think i'll be natural aspirated for awhile then might get some nitrous. So whats the best tranny to get GSR, B16,Type R? :confused:

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
the gsr tranny. its a good trade off. it doesnt have long gears like the ls and its not short like the typer or b16.

·
Registered
80 Posts
unidextrous said:
LSD wont help much if u plan on having a street car
LSD will help for any kind of driving you do, either it be drag racing, x-crossing, or even driving in snow and rain. in the ideal situation you want both wheels putting out equal power. as for taking corners, you will have the outside wheel spinning faster then the inside one beacuse it has a longer distance to travel and under high accel that wheel will sometimes spin out cause it has less traction.

as for the tranny selection, for turbo the best tranny is the A1, LS, cause it has the longest gears. but the YS1, 90-93 GSR, has the shorest and very high accel. the Y1 and S1, B16A, are about in the middle.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Get the LS man! The advantage is that you pick the tranny that works well with the engine. And since you have the b20z, its better to pick wider ratios because you are using the strength of the engine: the low-mid range.

Getting a Type R tranny is a very bad idea. It was meant for a very high revving engine, in this case, all the way up to 8400 RPM, which is about 2000 more RPMs than the B20Z! Hey, if you guys know who Hugh Le is, then you know what I'm talking about. His fully built turbo'd Type R head/B20B engine uses an LS tranny because it allows his hatch to pull more when up shifting. It will also mean that you don't have to shift as much, which is also a very good thing to have on the street. Look at this:
Hugh Le's Ultimate Hybrid

This Civic has pretty much put together the best of everything.

·
Registered
298 Posts
unidextrous said:
LSD can only help if u put it to its potential. a lot of people put hype on having an LSD. ur motor has to have power to make an LSD work.
Bullshit.

My 92 Si has a whopping 125 horsepower, and if I punch it in a corner, my inside wheel spins, and I understeer.

If I had an LSD, that wouldn't happen.

www.crvtec.com says the 94+ tranny is the best, and the LS tranny that everyone in this thread has been raving about is a dog.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Mojo-Jojo said:

...and the LS tranny that everyone in this thread has been raving about is a dog.
Plz sir, tell us why? If experts use the LS tranny and you don't think so, then you must have a very good reason right?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Mojo-Jojo said:

Bullshit.

My 92 Si has a whopping 125 horsepower, and if I punch it in a corner, my inside wheel spins, and I understeer.

If I had an LSD, that wouldn't happen.

www.crvtec.com says the 94+ tranny is the best, and the LS tranny that everyone in this thread has been raving about is a dog.
no shit......im talkin about straight line performance. no one can ever say LSD has made a car feel different..especially in a stock car when driving straight line.

my friend had a LS/vtec integra...and i drove it w/ and w/out the LSD, and i didnt feel jack shiet when it was on. but later down the line when he builds the car, it'll help him.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Kilika2k said:

Plz sir, tell us why? If experts use the LS tranny and you don't think so, then you must have a very good reason right?
Gah. Try reading my damn post.

It should be fairly obvious to anyone with grade school reading comprehension that I have a stock 92 Si.

What I said was:

"www.crvtec.com says."

NOT me. I personally didn't say anything about the trannies at all.

Here's their reasoning:

Why recommend the GSR Transaxle?
| 2000-09-01 | Joe Rogers |
Having had an LS tranny on my stock B20B in my HB, I can give you my thoughts on those gear ratios. They suck. They are worthless. The LS tranny is NOT a close ratio tranny. It is a dog, and at the track (strip or road race) it is a dog.

The CR-VTEC will be very happy with a GS-R tranny. Excellent compromise of gears. Close, but not too close. Reasonable 5th gear rpms. So for those looking for a drop in transaxle, the GSR should be recommended. The gearing on the LS is so inferior, that 200hp, 140 ft-lbs is still not going to make up for it. 3rd and 4th gear are particularly poor.

Now if you are into HYBRID trannies combinations... here are some more ideas. First, what I have: Y21 with LS 5th gear: Y21 or ITR tranny with GSR or LS 5th gear. Its a long long drop from 4th gear to an LS 5th, but the cruising RPMs are nice and low. And the 1-4 are incredible, with neck snapping torque from 2000 rpm. If I am in third gear and traffic has slowed me down to 1500 rpm, when that hole opens up, I just punch it. No need to downshift. Try that with an LS and you'll get a bucking bogging complaint from the engine, and very little 'punch'. Second, what I would like to try next. Y21/ITR 1-5th gear set, with LS final drive. This is easier said than done. You replace the counter shaft and differential gear ring with LS parts. Not gonna spell it all out, but it is do-able.

So my rankings would be from easiest to most specialized:
GSR
GSR w/ LS 5th for high speed cruising
ITR ITR/Y21 w/ GSR or LS 5th
ITR with LS final drive. And perhaps GSR 5th for high speed cruise
GSR tranny with LS final drive

And before I would recommend an LS tranny, I would recommend cable trannies like the Y1 or YS1.

·
Registered
298 Posts
no shit......im talkin about straight line performance.
Well, straight line performance isn't everything.

no one can ever say LSD has made a car feel different.
More bull. That's a big reason that the Type R handles so well. Stock LSD.

This is a quote from Sport Compact Car's Eight Great Rides article

The Sentra SE-R Spec-V is the performance bargain of the group. At only $16,900 it delivers hardware you seldom get for even $10,000 more. Take the helical limited-slip differential, for example. Five of our eight great rides are begging for this piece of hardware but on those cars you'll have to add more than $1,000 of aftermarket parts and labor to get one.
So...if it wouldn't help a stock car, like you assume, why would they bother saying that?

Especially in a stock car when driving straight line.
*sigh* For FWD cars, it helps more with powering out of turns than it does straight line.

my friend had a LS/vtec integra...and i drove it w/ and w/out the LSD, and i didnt feel jack shiet when it was on.[/B]
Did you try turning, or did you just whip off a couple quick straight line tests? And did you power hard out of the turns?

·
Registered
623 Posts
u must have a hard time comprehending what im saying. i know there is more to it than straight line. my post was directed toward straight line performance. and in ur response about the type-r..notice it says "handles so well". last time i heard..there was no turning in drag racing....unless ur talkin about the turning u do to get ur car off the track. stop reading all those websites and magazines. u'd be suprised what u can find out by actually driving cars than from reading about them.

·
Registered
80 Posts
i agree with Mojo-Jojo 100%. LSD is used more with out of turn accel but it is also very helpful with drag racing. with hig hp apps LSD helps keep the car going straight and not having it spin only one tire. this is also true with a stock car. a friend of mine has the new Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V and that has the helical limited-slip differential, when he dumps the clutch to get a good launch the car doesnt jump sideways or try to pull more towards one side it goes straight. and if he dumps the clutch turning he has to fight the car to turn cause both wheels are spinning with the same power. thats what LSD will do when drag racing, and with the ideal situation you want both wheels with equal amounts of power otherwise your going to bline towards the other driver or towards the wall.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.