Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...I'm planning on buyin a 99-00 Honda Civic Si

I am thinking of buying a cat-back exhaust system for it, then Turbo-Charging it with the Gen III Drag Turbo Kit found at www.DragTurboKits.com

Performance matters to me, but sound does too. My friend bought a 5Zigen Fire Cat-Back Exhaust and it sounds GREAT.

Basically I want as much suggestions and oppinions as possible. I would appreciate it if everybody who has anything to say would include the following:

Do you think I should get a exhaust MADE for turbo charged cars since I plan on turbocharging my car after getting the exhaust?

What's the best exhaust (performane wise) for a turbo-charged 99-00 Honda Civic Si?

Have you ever heard this exhaust on a Honda?

If so...does it sound like a Lawn-Mower at high RPM (the buzzing sound)?

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
ugh, not to be a dick, but please try a search first

you will want an exhaust with 3" piping for a turbo application

the Thermal R&D exhaust has a nice tone to it, they make good turbo exhausts, but i think they also might be expensive
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,293 Posts
I would get the turbo first, then put the larger exhaust on. If you run a 3'' exhaust without the turbo, your car will have next to no torque. Just my advice...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
414 Posts
Thermal's are the Ricyest sounding exaust you can buy. Get a Tanabe Racing Medalon universal muffler in 3 in (80mm?) or a Apexi N1 universal muffler in 3 in. Then you can go to a local muffler shop and get the piping done. Its cheeper and easer that way. But like v00tecsi said, get the turbo first, get the exaust later.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your oppinions!!!

How much do you think they would charge me if I gave them 2 5zigen mufflers and asked them to make me a custom cat-back exhaust that splits into 2 at the axle and had them weld it on with no catylitic converter or resonator?

I know it varies but if you have any guess or experience let me know...peace
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,786 Posts
SpitRhyma said:
Thanks for your oppinions!!!

How much do you think they would charge me if I gave them 2 5zigen mufflers and asked them to make me a custom cat-back exhaust that splits into 2 at the axle and had them weld it on with no catylitic converter or resonator?

I know it varies but if you have any guess or experience let me know...peace
I don't know about the price, but why do you want a dual exhaust?! Its better with a single exhaust. Your going without a resonator or a cat, I'd advise you to have a resonator or its going to sound like shit!! Trust me, when I had my cat-back with no cat and no resonator, it sounded so horrible that I had to put a resonator and replaced my gutted cat with a resonated test pipe. Sounds better. Keep your resonator!! Its there for a good reason.
 

·
Retired *********
Joined
·
4,663 Posts
v00tecsi said:
I would get the turbo first, then put the larger exhaust on. If you run a 3'' exhaust without the turbo, your car will have next to no torque. Just my advice...
Agreed. Turbos are all about getting the exhaust gases in/out with the least restriction possible. Any restriction will hurt spool up time (read: turbo lag). Using the stock exhaust piping and tossing a nice muffler on it is a waste, the entire exhaust system is a restriction, ot just the muffler. I have never heard the Thermal R&D 3" exhaust so I can't comment on the sound, but they were highly recommended by the old turbo guru guys on SHO 3.0. Don't forget about getting a high flow cat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so I'll have a resonator but no cat...would that sound OK?

About the hi-flo cat...I heard it's a waste of money because it doesn't really make a difference.

I want daul exhaust mainly for the look...I like the dual exhaust style better.

Can anybody guess how much labor that would be?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,786 Posts
SpitRhyma said:
Ok so I'll have a resonator but no cat...would that sound OK?

About the hi-flo cat...I heard it's a waste of money because it doesn't really make a difference.

I want daul exhaust mainly for the look...I like the dual exhaust style better.

Can anybody guess how much labor that would be?

Thanks
A resonator with no cat would sound good, a lot better than no resonator and no cat. If you want a dual exhaust get a dual exhaust, I don't know how much labor its going to be. BTW, is this custom piping? A hi flow cat makes a huge difference if your going turbo or a test pipe.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top