Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I am a newbie racer and want some advice on quality turbo chargers.

I am planning on buying a 99-00 Civic Si (DOHC VTEC).
I want to get it turbo charged with a VERY powerfull turbo charger and good quality intercooler, I want a boost controller so I don't burn my engine out. I also want an oil cooler kit, blow-off valves, and waste-gates. I want to go to a company trusted by honda that has all these parts for my particular model. Any help is appreciated or any suggestions.

Also how much do you think they would charge for labor alone for all those parts I mentioned to be installed along with a gauge pod that has a boost gauge, oil temperature gauge, and air/feul ratio gauge? I know it totally depends on the place and how much they charge per hour and how quick they are but can somebody who has had experience give me a range or an estimate?

Also what other parts should I get to not hurt my car?

I already decided on intake and exhaust.

Also do all turbo chargers from companies COME with the exhaust manifold or is that seperate?

What type of turbo should I get that would give my car an extremely high boost but not to a point that it would burn out my engine in a year or something (note: will be using a boost controller) and how much boost can I expect?

Can boost controllers let you change the boost ON COMMAND like in a matter of seconds so you can only turn it up on races?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm - I see now - I'm willing to spend however much it takes. I've seen turbo's for like 1,500 and shit but I want a powerfull good quality one.

If I get a boost conroller, would it be easy to lower the boost to a REALLY REALLY low boost when I'm just cruising?

How much does labor cost? That's my REAL worry. This will probably take me a long time to do because of school and all but I want a powerfull Honda.

I had a 99 Civic EX which my dad bought me in 11th Grade and is selling after it gets out of the shop now.

I got rims, a body kit, eyebrows, black headlights, blue brake caliburs, pedals, shift knob, break handle, a cold air intake, and a universal muffler. Damn my car looked SOOOOO awesome and I fuckin loved it but then I raced this accord that was ALSO decked out (but ugly) and it dick-whipped me...that's when I decided I wanted a powerfull car that was not show and no go so here I am now trying to decide how to go about it.

Please answer as many of the following:

How much can I expect for labor? (give me a guess)
What exactly are blow-off valves?
Can boost conrollers change boost in a matter of seconds?
Can boost conrollers change WHEN the boost kicks in?
If not...what can make it kick in later?
I heard that air-intakes come with turbo kits but can I still put my competition intake on it?

·
Registered
494 Posts
SpitRhyma said:

Please answer as many of the following:

How much can I expect for labor? (give me a guess)
What exactly are blow-off valves?
Can boost conrollers change boost in a matter of seconds?
Can boost conrollers change WHEN the boost kicks in?
If not...what can make it kick in later?
I heard that air-intakes come with turbo kits but can I still put my competition intake on it?
-labor will cost u a lot or decent depending where u go.
-BOV's are there so when u let off the cluth, the turbo keeps spinning and u dont blow anything inside.
-its beetr to get a manual one and pick a good setting.
-i dont think so
-eh? that all depends on how fastur turbo spins up
-u dont really need the intake

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh thanks man I appreciate the help!

So I definately want a BOV, because although I'm mostly going to be doing drag races, I AM going to be doin it in the city and also a lot of freeway racing too.

What's the best brand(s) for:
Turbo - Intercooler - Oil Cooler - Blow Off Valves - Wastegates etc. that actually makes all the parts for MY car.

If HKS doesn't have shit for a Civic then I don't know who does and I don't want to go to Mugen because that WILL cost me an arm and a leg.

Also when you get a turbo it comes with headers right? So if I'm gonna turbo my car I don't need to buy no DC Sport headers or nothing?

·
Registered
344 Posts
be sure you buy legal turbos. Since you're in cali. You won't want to be harrassed and given more tickets after you got stopped for racing in world streets.

some turbo come with headers and some doesn't. Like Greddy turbo come with everything include header

·
Registered
485 Posts
theres a EBP civic runnin around the town i live with a greddy kit on it... its only pushin about 184 hp to the wheels... then there is my friend with a JR supercharger on his Si.... 204 hp to the wheels... and tat was before he had some other shit done and it tuned... HP wise id go with the supercharger... but thats just me... and with a supercharger u always have boost... u dont have to wait

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow you guys are great! Now if a supercharger is more powerful and kick in sooner, then why do some people say they prefer turbos? I mean there HAS to be an advantage in turbo chargers.

Also is there something called an "After Cooler" which is basically like an intercooler for super chargers?

If I were to get a JR Supercharger, Aftercooler, AEM Intake, DC Sport Headers, and 5zigen cat-back, along with AEM: feul regulator, feul filter, and feul rail, how much HP could I end up with assuming I started with a 99 Civic Si (169 HP)?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oops I meant 160 HP - sorry

Also, can somebody help me with this:
http://www.jacksonracing.com/pages/details/images/99civicsi.gif

I mean I figured the ones that go up in a slope are HP and the other 2 are torque...and obviously the higher one is WITH the supercharger n all...but holy shit man...does this mean the the supercharger ALONG with a cat-back and air filter only adds 30 HP? That's WEAK!!! My friend is talkin about puttin a turbo on his accord to add over 100HP and some guy told me about these crazy ass turbos they make for BMWs that add like 400HP - of course I'm not lookin to destroy my engine in 2 weeks but still!

Also wouldn't a supercharger be kinda harder on the engine since it kicks in sooner?

Thanks for the help everyone
Peace

·
Registered
485 Posts
it depends on the car and its tuning as to how much hp gains u get from a turbo and supercharger... i know alot of people with turbo's and superchargers on their cars... the superchargers always have more hp then a turbo... by atleast 20 hp... with a supercharger you dont have to but most people take out their ac... cuz it runs off the same pulley... so if u take off ur ac its no harder on the engine then running your ac all the time... like i said i like superchargers better cuz its constant power... i think people like turbo's cuz they make the noise when they blow off... superchargers usually are pretty quiet... they might make a whine sound but its still hard to distinguish that u have one...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Damn! It lost a lot of power from the engine 2 the wheels...that's strange because in this other Dyno I saw it seemed to only drop 15HP on the same model civic

Anyways...don't you think 50HP increase is kinda weak?

I mean how much would like an HKS Turbo add (the most powerfull one they got)

Shit know NOTHING about performance :(

Any help is appreciated as always.

Peace
SR

visit www.SpitRhyma.cjb.net for pics of my old car!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Hmmm there seems to be a lot of misinformation on this thread...

For starters, goto the Turbocharger forum..you'll get tons of helpful information there. Look up MaT3T4, he knows his shit. He personally boosted his b16a2 to 400 Horses, of course he built his internals up completely.

Superchargers and Turbochargers...hmm where to begin, your best bet is to go to hon davision.com (remove spaces) and read up the tech articles, they are beautifully compiled, and will give you everything you wanted to know about the two.

As a general rule, Turbochargers will make more power, and definitely have much more potential. In order to increase the performance for SCer, as far as I know, you have to replace the pulleys which cost a lot - even afer that you have limited potential. Turbocharger have unlimited potential by increasing the boost as high as you want - granted you build your engine to support the boost, otherwise you're going blow your engine.

For dragging purposes, Turbo is the only way to go. Sure there is turbo lag, but once the boost kicks in, the TQ produce is much more than of a similar SC at equvilent boosts (I say similar boost because 7 psi of boost on a SC is not necessarily 7 psi of boost on a TC, close but there are too many determining factors for output performance).

Superchargers have the advantage of low to no maintence compared to Turbochargers, and of course there is no Turbo lag. Basically, it's like slapping on a stronger engine. However, although the power is more linear, as a general rule, Turbos will produce more power on the top end. Turbos of course have, BOVs =).

As far as costs are concerned, it obviously varies depending what you install and where you do it. My friend who recently dropped a GReddy Turbo on his 99 EX, spent approximately $500.00 for installation from Holeshot Fullerton, So. Cal.

Tuning is always the key when it comes to Turbos, many ppl are impatient and just want to buy the full kit, slap it on, and call it a day. You will eventually blow your engine. Recommendations are; upgraded fuel delivery, upgraded ignitions, upgraded spark plugs, upgraded fuel pump, Fuel Mangement System either standalone Hondata or V-AFC hack (recommended Hondata if you want to boost more than 9 psi). You will also need EGT gauges, Oil pressures gauges, Turbo gauges, Turbo timer, and BOV.

Legal turbo kits....Ha. All a marketing gimmick. The only legal kit out in the market is the GReddy Kit... however what they don't tell you in the ad is, if you add a BOV or a Front Mounted Intercooler (FMIC), it will no longer be legal. The base kit comes with 5psi, which will barely give you and signigicant power gains, anytime you up the boost, it will no longer be legal. Furthermore, the base kit maybe listed at $2000 give or take, but if you add BOV and FMIC it comes out to be $2800 approximately, coincidently the same ball park as FMAX, RH, and DRAG.

FMAX, REV HARD, DRAG III all are quality kits, depending who you ask, bottom-line is do your homework. GReddy is better for the D16z engines, on the EXs from what I've gathered.

Turbo is not as simple as your regular bolt-ons and will require great responsibility and patience if you don't want to blow your engine. Sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok...so I'm thinking of the Garrett Drag Turbo that's supposed to add up to 100HP right? But nowhere can I find a Garrett Intercooler, BOVs and Wastegates, do they not exist?

Would it be OK to go with a diff. brand for the Intercooler, BOV, and wastegates?

How much does BOVs and Wastegates cost anyways?

And is labor gonna be alot fot them because I know for the Turbo it will....

Thanks!

Peace

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.