Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i asked this in the integra forum, maybe i can get some more feedback here. wuz up all? i have been thinking about changin my cams,valve springs and retainers, and want to find out what are the best valve springs to purchase. There was a post on what each company and the springs the produce begin to bind. So if anyone can link that for me it would be great. Couldnt find it in the search. its for a b18c1

·
Banned
1,513 Posts
Buy super tech...I use them on my fully build b18c and rev them shits up to 10k no problemo..they are less expensive than common name brand springs/retainers...They were recomended to me by Tom at Portflow so if he says they are good,they ARE good.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Syn Inside03 said:
so i shoud get the valve springs according to the cams i get? i.e. skunk cams skunk valve springs, buddy club cams, buddy club valve springs?
well think of it this way. If something unfortunate happens, say you break a camshaft. The first thing that company is going to ask is what valvesprings you are running. They sure as hell arent going to send you another set of cams if you werent running their valvetrain.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I'd have to say crower..
I'm using their full race setup Ti-retainers and their dual valvesprings..I have yet to see a problem with them, goin on 2 years, 9100+rpms and 3 different sets of cams.

Supertech has had the problem along with portflow with their retainners chipping and falling apart, Granted they've probably fixed this, But anybody who has had that problem would know, the worst thing u can have go wrong, is your reving to 9100rpms, and ur retainer comes off...good bye engine..i'd suggest crower, for the money you'll spend you'll be safe, crower also guarantees their shit to work with every cam out there, excluding Toda D's.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what about the keepers? Someone recommended that i go with a retainers, that supply there own keepers, instead of using the stock keepers.

there use to be a link to a website that shows where each company, and there springs begin to bind. Does anyone know where that link is????????????

·
Registered
699 Posts
stock keepers are fine. upgraded valvetrain parts dont come with the keepers. EVeryone just either buys new ones or just uses the old ones.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
road.head said:
stock keepers are fine. upgraded valvetrain parts dont come with the keepers. EVeryone just either buys new ones or just uses the old ones.
Not true at all. Manley and Ferrea both make their own keepers. For good reason too. Using stock worn out keepers is dangerous because they can actually pull through the retainer at high rpm's and drop a valve. Kiss your motor goodbye.

Manley retainers and keepers are $250, while the Crower's are $192. For the extra security of knowing my engine is safe, ill gladly pay the $58 difference. Plus the manley parts are good to 1000hp.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
road.head said:
wtf, my crowers, supertechs, nor my IB spec valvetrain came with keepers :mad
Most of them dont. I think Manley and Ferrea are the only ones that make them. Ferrea is MAD expensive, so i went with manley. I think REV is working on their own keepers, but arent out yet. Supertechs are especially known for breaking retainers. My mechanic has two blown B18C1's in his shop, both due to a dropped valve from supertech retainers.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Sirfallsalot243 said:
Most of them dont. I think Manley and Ferrea are the only ones that make them. Ferrea is MAD expensive, so i went with manley. I think REV is working on their own keepers, but arent out yet. Supertechs are especially known for breaking retainers. My mechanic has two blown B18C1's in his shop, both due to a dropped valve from supertech retainers.
well im going with rocket motorsports valvetrain next so maybe he makes his own.....but i've never heard anyone running other than OEM keepers.

and you cant exactly call dropping the valve the retainers fault. Usually this is just an installation error or the owner overreved the motor thinking the retainers could hold the rpm's they were at. Or maybe they misshifted.....i wouldnt know without knowing the whole story yuh know?

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
When the keepers actually pull THROUGH the retainer, I would call it the retainer/keepers fault. I wish i took a picture of it before they through it out. Pulled right through.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
TI retainers are only needed if you are reavving the car over 10k, and they wear out faster then stock retianers...the only point to TI retainers are to lighten the V-train...Most people that are buying cams are not getting anything that makes power over 9k...So to person who posted this...if you are not going to be revving over 10k, do not worry about the reatianers...and I would go with whoever you buy the cams from then get their retainers.

·
Banned
1,513 Posts
ALL C5 said:
TI retainers are only needed if you are reavving the car over 10k, and they wear out faster then stock retianers...the only point to TI retainers are to lighten the V-train...Most people that are buying cams are not getting anything that makes power over 9k...So to person who posted this...if you are not going to be revving over 10k, do not worry about the reatianers...and I would go with whoever you buy the cams from then get their retainers.
Uuuhh..My engine blew cuz of a stock retainer breaking and droping a valve into my piston...I'll take titanium thanks

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
shaolin_style said:
Uuuhh..My engine blew cuz of a stock retainer breaking and droping a valve into my piston...I'll take titanium thanks
I am telling you that TI is not as strong as stock reatianers! You had a bad expeirence with it thats all...I ran Toda C's on stock reatiners with no problem.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.