Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a couple snapped bolts that were just weakened after too many years of use. that is, during tightening, the bolt head snapped off and the thread end remains.

im in no real rush to remove them, if even possible, but if anyone has tips on how to get these things out. looks like oxidation is setting in as well so maybe i should be in a hurry? they are in various places of the engine bay, 10mm, shorter than an inch in length.

any ideas?
v

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I bore them out, and then stick one of those craftsman tools (one's for taking out stripped screws) in and spin it right out.

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
SlipoftheCondom said:
I bore them out, and then stick one of those craftsman tools (one's for taking out stripped screws) in and spin it right out.
this is how I would do it. drill it out....and if you need to rethread the hole...which is known as tapping.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've always drilled a hole in a center of the broken bolt, then used an easyout (sold at any tool store) and pulled it out if it wasn't rusted like hell. Another way is to use a same size drill as the bolt is, drill it out and then retap it. Or if you miss a center of the hole and demage the thread, you can go to a hardwere store and get a set of helicoil inserts. The set shoud come with a propper drill size, right tap and the inserts. You simply drill the hole oversized of its original size with the drill provided with the kit, then tap it and guide your insert right in. Make sure you know the right thread size before drilling, or if you have a bolt like that out already, take it to the store and they'll give you the right size helicoil kit. Damn that's a long reply, but I hope it helps. I know one of the three will work since I do it all the time:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts