Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive recently been robbed and when I get whatever I get for a new cd player, im probaly going to drill screws through the basket to secure it. Is there any other/better ways to secure a cd player? ive heard that tabs on the basket can be pushed up so that its very hard to take out, any other reccomendations?

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
I dont know man,have you thought of a good alarm?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
98civic4door said:
I dont know man,have you thought of a good alarm?
Yeah i was considering a 2-way without the LCD. But how good is an alarm when someones already in your car? Im thinkin of somethin that when they get in, they cant take anything. Is the screw thing a good idea?

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
do some stealth installs.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
hmm.. as far as securing amps and sub boxes down... u can always use different types of screws (allen, phillips, flathead) and you could even melt some solder into it for they cant unscrew it... as far as the head unit goes u could probably bolt it down by making custom holes etc.... but if they really want it they will get it! which is why u shouldnt let them know u have it in the first place.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1200mk said:
hmm.. as far as securing amps and sub boxes down... u can always use different types of screws (allen, phillips, flathead) and you could even melt some solder into it for they cant unscrew it... as far as the head unit goes u could probably bolt it down by making custom holes etc.... but if they really want it they will get it! which is why u shouldnt let them know u have it in the first place.

Definetly a good point, im not sure what im gunna do but if i deicide to put a cd player back in my car I might just make a sneaky ass install. Seeing how my glovebox is gone you guys got any ideas??

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
i dont know about the eg's but on my 98 i have the stock radio still in its place, and my cd player behind the cupholders lid, so when the worthless cupholders are open, you cant really see anything i have. i also had a 400 watt amp installed under the drivers seat (not easily seen, but common place to look)

i also had my car window busted and someone stole all of my stuff (h/u, amp, and around 300 cd's) so now i have my cd player screwed in so the console has to be disassembled, and they'll have to remove the cupholder tray to even get to all the screws, or just take the whole tray with them...

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IISaiNtII said:
i dont know about the eg's but on my 98 i have the stock radio still in its place, and my cd player behind the cupholders lid, so when the worthless cupholders are open, you cant really see anything i have. i also had a 400 watt amp installed under the drivers seat (not easily seen, but common place to look)

i also had my car window busted and someone stole all of my stuff (h/u, amp, and around 300 cd's) so now i have my cd player screwed in so the console has to be disassembled, and they'll have to remove the cupholder tray to even get to all the screws, or just take the whole tray with them...

Nah we dont have the cd player under the stock radio I wish it was like that, I love that setup. But I think im going to put it in my glove box (when I get a new one, gf broke my old one :mad ) and secure it with some screws somehow. Ill also put a dummy stock tape player in the normal spot for it, so hopefully that will work.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Ok u guys i came up with this theory:

When u install a deck in older cars,if u didnt notice they are much harder to remove the factory deck or watev, forcing the theifs to smash your dash and shit apart, then your insurance company will have to do a mad payout for having your deck stolen along with the ripped apart dash :mad

Now in new vehicles the deck are much much easier to take out and install(i've taken out a factory deck and installed a new deck in 10mins. flat not including wiring harness thats about 5mins.)so thiefs can have a hayride with stealing your shit in no time :eek now your insurance comp. doesnt have to pay you out big time just much easier for them......it makes sense in my head
ex: u buy a expesnive deck etc. u dont want it stolen+expensive alarm= lots of damn $$$ spent on one deck jeez basically u cant do anything but take face plate off your deck and take it with u :D

·
Registered
526 Posts
if u have subs amps etc get them insured but the ctach is u have to secure them to your car bacially bolt them down, if they get stolen then u will get your $$ back :D

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tanogi_1664 said:
if u have subs amps etc get them insured but the ctach is u have to secure them to your car bacially bolt them down, if they get stolen then u will get your $$ back :D
Fuck subs/amps lol just one more thing to get stolen. Ugh ill be workin on this project for a while.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
well on the parked accord, when it was a daily driver, I made sure i insured every piece on that car, yea its running me an arm and a leg, but hell, when someone jacks your shit, or worse, steals your car, everything on that car is replaced. also another thing, when you park, make sure you either turn your steering wheel all the way to the right or to the left, so it locks in that position when you turn the ignition off, so its much harder for someone to drive away with hot wiring. as far as the sneaky stuff goes. I screwed everything down in the car, but also, screwed everything up, which means i had to go underneath the interior and screw upwards so they have double the trouble of getting it. I have a stock player in the dash, and the deck hidden

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
i would also use odd screws, like ones that aren't regular or phillips heads.

1 thing about having an alarm is, alot of times people will "shop" for stuff in pairs, so while 1 person breaks into the car, another will be standing waiting for them to pop the hood, then disconnect the battery, so the alarm may only be on for a max. of 5 seconds. unless of course you have it setup to another back-up battery.
also, dont put the brain under the damn steering column, thats where they always get put, real easy just to pull the fuse out of them, and it also points out the wires (usually) needed to hotwire the car.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
IISaiNtII said:
i would also use odd screws, like ones that aren't regular or phillips heads.

1 thing about having an alarm is, alot of times people will "shop" for stuff in pairs, so while 1 person breaks into the car, another will be standing waiting for them to pop the hood, then disconnect the battery, so the alarm may only be on for a max. of 5 seconds. unless of course you have it setup to another back-up battery.
also, dont put the brain under the damn steering column, thats where they always get put, real easy just to pull the fuse out of them, and it also points out the wires (usually) needed to hotwire the car.

Yeah I got that issue of honda tuning also :p I need to find a way to mount the cd player in the glove box (if its ever recovered :cry ) I was thinking just cut a hole in the back of it, hopefully that will work.

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
you can take a dremel ( if you have one) and cut a section out like that, i cut the entire backside off of my glove box and mounted a computer there...

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
(add hillbilly accent) use duct tape! seriously though, use some brackets and screw it onto an accessible but not easily viewable place. or buy a new reciever.

P.S: hndasedan, i think your sig's awesome

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
IISaiNtII said:
you can take a dremel ( if you have one) and cut a section out like that, i cut the entire backside off of my glove box and mounted a computer there...

Sickness, Ill have to invest in a dremel then. How much did your kit cost ya? Ive seen a set for about 40 bucks.

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
i didn't know there were kits out there, i just peiced together some home depot / lowes stuff to mount my specific model, im sure they would all be different

1 - 20 of 22 Posts