Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ctr or itr? i only ask because i raced a 98 cobra the other day and he got me by about 3 cars...my friend who was riding along said i would have had him with ctr pistons...what you think? Thanks

· Registered
94 Posts
ctr or itr? i only ask because i raced a 98 cobra the other day and he got me by about 3 cars...my friend who was riding along said i would have had him with ctr pistons...what you think? Thanks
I don't think CTR pistons are gonna help you beat the cobra. Has the car been tuned? If so on what and what are your numbers? If I were you I would upgrade your header to an SMSP or Hytech. It is worth the money. My car has a 98spec jdm itr swap bone stock internals with an smsp header j's intake and 63mm exhaust. I put down 198whp on a mustang dyno and I know for a fact my car can pull on a 98cobra.

Do you know what was done to the cobra? Are you running an itr tranny? Did you race from a roll or dig?

· Registered
1,221 Posts
I don't think CTR pistons are gonna help you beat the cobra. Has the car been tuned? If so on what and what are your numbers? If I were you I would upgrade your header to an SMSP or Hytech. It is worth the money. My car has a 98spec jdm itr swap bone stock internals with an smsp header j's intake and 63mm exhaust. I put down 198whp on a mustang dyno and I know for a fact my car can pull on a 98cobra.

Do you know what was done to the cobra? Are you running an itr tranny? Did you race from a roll or dig?
smsp...hytech...?

on an itr dude. go with an RMF narrow 4-1 header... it dynoed on a stock itr mind you 14.3whp and 13.9 ft lbs.... they are 450$ for the header... go with the RMF narrow...

· Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

tuned on hondata s100 by tempest racing. i put down 190 with stock 98 itr block, b16 head with itr cams and b16 trans. the cobra was my friends and he's just got an I/H/E. we went from a 20 mph roll and i stayed in 1st. i pulled him through the first 3 gears but when he hit 3rd he took off

· Registered
5,141 Posts
The biggest difference you would see is fully balanced bottom end. It makes a huge difference in acceleration+Smother and less stress on engine makes them last longer+you can lift the limiter. Light weight pistons all weighed and matched, knife edge shot peened balanced crank and flywheel and it'll be a racer! + you'll be surprised of the cost it wont brake the bank Big gain for your $$.

1.Reduced need for a heavy flywheel or similar devices.
2.Reduced wear.
3.The opportunity to reduce the size and weight of components (other than the obvious one of the flywheel) as a result of reduced stress and wear.
4.Reduced vibration transmitted to the surroundings of the engine.
5.The opportunity to extract more power from a given engine by: Higher maximum operating speeds made possible by reduced stress.
All good stuff :D

· Registered
430 Posts
The biggest difference you would see is fully balanced bottom end. It makes a huge difference it acceleration+Smother and less stress on engine makes them last longer+you can lift the limiter. Light weight pistons all weighed and matched, knife edge shot peened balanced crank and flywheel and it'll be a racer! + you'll be surprised of the cost it wont brake the bank Big gain for your $$.
:D
i thought that only worked with v8's

· Registered
94 Posts
smsp...hytech...?

on an itr dude. go with an RMF narrow 4-1 header... it dynoed on a stock itr mind you 14.3whp and 13.9 ft lbs.... they are 450$ for the header... go with the RMF narrow...
Um... ok go with a RMF header but either way you need a good flowing header. Im not gonna say RMF is a better header because I have never used it. But I know for a fact SMSP's work.

· Registered
5,141 Posts
i thought that only worked with v8's
Na. It turns a normal car into a super bike engine! 14.000 rpm is attainable!
Lighter the better! :D

· Registered
1,221 Posts
Um... ok go with a RMF header but either way you need a good flowing header. Im not gonna say RMF is a better header because I have never used it. But I know for a fact SMSP's work.
next time your in the market for one try them out man. they are amazing. the knock offs from ebay are literally exact replicas. (the only reason i know that is because vteckidd from hondatech is the one who sells them. the designs and bends and welds alot of them.) they really are well worth the 450$ i thinks its a best bang/buck type things. but they definatly work haha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.