Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Workin at autozone we have a few people workin there who really know their stuff and i was talkin to one of them the other day about boosting my z6 with 161k on it. I was sayin a rebuild would be inorder before puttin that kind of stress on the motor but he claimed that its better to put forced indiction on a high mile motor cause they have more "give". While a fresh motor would be rigid and tight with no give. I'm guessing that his def of give is just room for error to some extent. thing is he is goin on V8 and diesel performance knowledge. Him and his dad own a turbo diesel performance shop down in south florida where they make dragsters and quick diesel trucks. Lets assume that for large displacement diesel motors and other V8's its better to have a high mile motor. Would the same go for littke honda motors? Or does someone want to shoot this whole thing down? Let me know what u think.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
that makes no sense whatsoever... I can understand breaking a motor in before boosting, but I completely do not understand "boost with high miles because it has more give". It is not wise to boost power output by 50-100% with a turbo when the engine is showing obvious signs of wear and some tolerances are out of spec (which is most likely the case with 161k).

At 161k, I would do a leakdown test, at other maintenance like the headgasket (if not changed recently) and make sure that everything is working as expected. If all is good, then try some boost. However with that many miles, I would pick up another z6 block and build it on the side.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
The guy has absolutely no idea what he's talking about.

Like kommon_sense said....get a compression and leakdown test first...I'd examine your cooling system too.

·
Registered
444 Posts
he is obviouslly retarded besides if he and his dad do all that then why is he working at autozone?

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
travizx0r said:
he is obviouslly retarded besides if he and his dad do all that then why is he working at autozone?
:clap I agree

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
travizx0r said:
I guess for the discount! lol.
anyways.....if ur gonna boost ur motor do a compression and leakdown test and if i were u i would change all gaskets and seals. Do waterpump and timing belt while ur at it too. Whatever is on the verge of going or failing while ur NA......will DEFINITELY go when ur boosted. I learned the hard way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts