Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just had motor rebuilt by shop, and after 1300 miles [break in period at 1200 miles] engine block blew the F*** open, now there is a big hole in my block. so my question is what he hell happened. i was just driving [my 5th and 2nd gear pop] in 4th gear at like 5000 rpms i had been told that driving in 4th cant hurt me or can it. what do you guys think happened. everything checked out oil,water, everything...by the way dont go to a machine shop that has to ask, "a b18a whats that, is that one of those jap engines". just so you can save $200 bux not worth it.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
what exactly did you have done to it?

Sonny Cheeba said:
"a b18a whats that, is that one of those jap engines". just so you can save $200 bux not worth it.
and yes, this should have set off fire alarms in your head.

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
Sonny Cheeba said:
just had motor rebuilt by shop, and after 1300 miles [break in period at 1200 miles] engine block blew the F*** open, now there is a big hole in my block. so my question is what he hell happened. i was just driving [my 5th and 2nd gear pop] in 4th gear at like 5000 rpms i had been told that driving in 4th cant hurt me or can it. what do you guys think happened. everything checked out oil,water, everything...by the way dont go to a machine shop that has to ask, "a b18a whats that, is that one of those jap engines". just so you can save $200 bux not worth it.
something probraly snapped and shot out...piece of the crank or rod.yea with machine shops always go to a good respectable guy..dont cheap out on that kinda stuff

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
You won't know what happened until you take it apart. And as for a machine shop I only go to people with alot of experience. But shit happens engines do blow cars do break. As for driving in "4th" gear, you can drive in any gear and hurt a car if it isn't tuned especially at high RPM's when you had dumb american muscle apes build your engine that takes a whole hell of alot more precision than a small block 350. Pull the engine take it apart and build another one and do the build yourself and just leave the bore hone, hot tank and zyglow and crank balance/magnaflux to someone else. It's a good possibility that your block had a small crack in it that you couldn't see unless it was zyglowed and thats what happened. Anyway take it apart.

·
Banned
1,160 Posts
no pshh pshh here, LOL

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
asianpride559 said:
yea with machine shops always go to a good respectable guy..dont cheap out on that kinda stuff

:wow

Of all the years we've chit chatted on SHO, other forums, and even AIM, I don't think I've ever heard you say that :number1

I'm just playing. Much love bro :)

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
-=Zeqs=- said:
:wow

Of all the years we've chit chatted on SHO, other forums, and even AIM, I don't think I've ever heard you say that :number1

I'm just playing. Much love bro :)
shit when it comes to that im not cheap but other things if i could rig it i would. me and my boss resurfaced a head today on a 302 mustang with these little round sticker pads glued to a table today ...now thats rigged.i guess the guy who owns the mustang didnt have the 50 bucks to have it done right at a machine shop so we were like ok we could resurface it by hand with our sand pad. ill let u knoe if it comes out ok after we fire the car up :D

·
Registered
714 Posts
Taking a B18A to a shop and having them say "what is that" would have made me turn around. If the shop you went to "turned" the crank that is what the problem was. Most factory honda cranks are not designed to be rebuilt after major engine failure. All honda cranks are hardened from the factory. So if they(the shop) re welded the journal and ground it down to a "factory" spec; that would weaken the crank enough so that it would eat the bearings up shortly after a rebuild. Other than that; they could have used the wrong torque specs on the rod bolts which will cause catastrophic engine failure, such as what you have experienced.

·
Registered
136 Posts
For real man that blow!

That's an expensive mistake/lesson. :bh I think we all will definetly take notice!

Any luck at finding a used block? (I know I'd be financially drained)
I remeber the guys at acuraautomotiveparts.org (1.800.CARLAND) giving me a good quote on a new shortblock & shipping around 6 months back.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the shop: shot peen rods*modified rods to fit usdm type-r slugs*new bearings*mic'd the crank and wielded it a little to fix it. the motor was warranty[spelling sux, sorry] but at the time i was on a military op, and my wife [ggrrr...] wouldnt tow it cuz she insisted that the machine shop would pay for the tow without even looking at the engine....its a long story. but after comming back from Iraq..again :clap, im going to start all over with the b18a 1990-1993 teg and do it right the first time again... L8er days

1 - 15 of 15 Posts