Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a jdm b20b and i want to make some more power up top ,, now i am looking at getting some cams i have read and read and i cant get a solid answer and i need one,,, \
what would be a good cam fom my b20
it has some mods header full exhaust intake and i am gonna put a intake manifold,,,

somebody tell me what kind to get
adn i have also heard and think it is right ,if i get too agressive of a cam it will slow me down,, true , not true?

i am looking at getting some JG 301 cams i have read a couple of things that said these are pretty good any feedback on that, well let me know if anybody has any answers.....and somebody please answer me.. thanks :bh :bh :bh :bh :bh :bh :bh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,438 Posts
i would suggest starting with i/h/e like everybody else...

the more aggressive cams you have, the better power you will have at high rpm, provided your valve springs and such are properly built to the cams (cams, like so many other things, cant just be thrown on)

however, with cams that are too aggressive, the car wont idle worth a damn... this is why cammed up small block chevys sound like shit at idle...

this is also why vtec was invented...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
yeah if you want to make more power up top you are probably going to want to look into doing a B20 VTEC. the only problem is, your internals arent meant to spin that high. You would need to have the block balanced and blue printed and by the time you go through all the trouble you m ight as well build the inside....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
You wanna make alot of power up top for NA like your speaking i'd throw in some Jun stage 3's. This is another reminder.

If you have a valve lift of .430" or more you need to make sure the Lost Motion devices in the head are ITR or very late model B16/GSR units or they could bottom out and cam breakage is possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,438 Posts
550whp said:
You wanna make alot of power up top for NA like your speaking i'd throw in some Jun stage 3's. This is another reminder.

If you have a valve lift of .430" or more you need to make sure the Lost Motion devices in the head are ITR or very late model B16/GSR units or they could bottom out and cam breakage is possible.

do you have any idea what any stage 3 cams do to your idle???? do you???? it makes it idle like a piece of shit!!!! not smart for a car that you have to drive on a daily basis, unless you are a sick fuck that enjoys stalling in drive-thrus...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,361 Posts
550whp said:
You wanna make alot of power up top for NA like your speaking i'd throw in some Jun stage 3's. This is another reminder.

If you have a valve lift of .430" or more you need to make sure the Lost Motion devices in the head are ITR or very late model B16/GSR units or they could bottom out and cam breakage is possible.
its a B20... that means no VTEC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,517 Posts
hobie237 said:
do you have any idea what any stage 3 cams do to your idle???? do you???? it makes it idle like a piece of shit!!!! not smart for a car that you have to drive on a daily basis, unless you are a sick fuck that enjoys stalling in drive-thrus...
there are many people running jun 3's and various other similar cams in their daily drivers. i dont see many of them complaining about idle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
371 Posts
hobie237 said:
however, with cams that are too aggressive, the car wont idle worth a damn... this is why cammed up small block chevys sound like shit at idle...
You can get any aggressive cam or cams to idle properly, you just need to have a good tune. Sure the idle won't be as smooth as stock, but the extra power is usually worth it. And better gearing will help with the lack of power and surging down low. I think any cammed V-8 sounds awesome at idle, it's an intimidating sound.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top