Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, im at the drag strip. My car is running fine. I pull up to the starting line and go. Its fine until about 5,500 rpm's. Then it acts like a rev limiter kicks in. Its an ex so it doesnt redline until 7,200. Whats the problem. It doesnt make any noises. The engine just kind of stops. But when it happens i just change gears and bring it up to 5500 and it does it again. There is no hesitation up until then. Its like normal. It does it in every gear. Is it somthing to do with the ignition or fuel? or is my rev limiter messed up. What should i do. It still runs fine, but i just cant take it past about 5500 rpm's. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have no recent mods. And I dont have a VAFC. I think it might have just skipped or mis fired so im gonna change the spark plugs and wires and the distributor cap and see if that does it.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Hmmm...any check engine lights? If your oil pressure is too high/low the ECU won't turn on the VTEC which is near the rpm where you are having trouble. If the big cam doesn't come on at the right time the small cam will crap out, it doesn't make power at high RPMs. Just a thought. Could also be fuel delivery problem, have you ever changed the fuel filter? IF you haven't and you have a 94, better do that and then run injector cleaner.

Plus check the electrical stuff like you plan to do.

·
Registered
71 Posts
scrmncivic said:
Alright, im at the drag strip. My car is running fine. I pull up to the starting line and go. Its fine until about 5,500 rpm's. Then it acts like a rev limiter kicks in. Its an ex so it doesnt redline until 7,200. Whats the problem. It doesnt make any noises. The engine just kind of stops. But when it happens i just change gears and bring it up to 5500 and it does it again. There is no hesitation up until then. Its like normal. It does it in every gear. Is it somthing to do with the ignition or fuel? or is my rev limiter messed up. What should i do. It still runs fine, but i just cant take it past about 5500 rpm's. Thanks in advance.
btw how fast do you run in the 1/4?

·
Registered
513 Posts
try replacing or cleaning the fuel filter and/or injectors. should solve the problem ... happened to my other accord.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
skater4145 I usually run the 1/4 mile in about 16.4-16.6. But the last run was a 17.3. Thanks for all the help. ill try all the stuff listed and give yall an update.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts