Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading through the site and I was checking out the torque numbers of the b16.. The b16 has 111lbs of tq, and the b18b has 127lbs tq... Now I know that the hp is different, but I also know that tq is acceleration, what we all need... But my question is, in a civic cx 94, which motor would be better for a swap... Pertaining to performance stock? No FI..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not talking about the b18c, I am talking about the b18b, cause you can get one of those and turbo it for alot cheaper than just coming out and buying an b18c!!! To me, they are a waist on money... I have a turbo kit for a d16, I expect that all that I will have to do is change out the manifold and valaaaahhh!!! BTW, the b18c is not to far ahead of the b18b in torque numbers!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,265 Posts
the b18b, cause you can get one of those and turbo it for alot cheaper than just coming out and buying an b18c!!!
This isn't necessarily true. I've never seen more than a $1,500 difference between the B and the C (usually only $1k difference)... and i have yet to see a turbo kit that goes for that price. Make sure you price everything up before you make your decision. A B16-T is no slouch either.

When I went through this decision though I landed on the B18C because of its value and upside potential.
You orignially asked
which motor would be better for a swap... Pertaining to performance stock? No FI..
And I say the B18C. I believe it's the most motor for your dollar, but to each his own. I think you'll find the b18b a bit sluggish after spending $2500-$3000 to get it in there, when for $500 more you could have had 170hp, vtec and IAB.
So you'll want to add boost, and another $2500 later you'll be at 200hp instead of 230hp if you had boosted the C with the same turbo system. These are hypotheticals but you get my drift. Unless you have a real bargain wating for you in a B18B I recommend going the extra mile for the C.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not planning on keeping it stock, its just that you can find b18b down here for about $600 or less, or just a little more... Those motors are cheap... I have never seen those motors go for that much as you listed, not even on ebay... I have also heard that there is less tunning to be done in the b18b as it is on the b18c due to vtec... You better believe it my friend, oh its going turbo alright... I am looking to throw 20lbs on the B...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BTW, you have to look at the price for parts as well.. Non-vtec parts are known to be cheaper than vtec parts all around...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,265 Posts
ginyu6869 said:
which motor would be better for a swap... Pertaining to performance stock? No FI..
ginyu6869 said:
I am not planning on keeping it stock
:confused

Ok so if you want a stock N/A motor the GSR is obviously better.

If you're looking to boost, the b18b will be easier to tune than a GSR because it starts off lower compression...but that's it. don't fool yourself into thinking that a 1.8L non-vtec has more potential than a 1.8L vtec.

People like the b18b for their civics because it offers a .2L bump and a DOHC setup over their D16. But you get all that +30hp and higher upside potential with the GSR.

The only reasons to go b18b are
-starts out cheaper
-easier to tune (to a point)
-you don't feel as bad blowing it up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cool, but you dont understand what I am saying, It still wont cost you to much or not even over $1000 for the complete setup... Like I said, those motors are not hard to find... There is a guy here, (and I bet that he is not the only one that will do it), He wants to trade my D16z6, the complete swap over for his B18b, all because there is a demand for vtec engines... Like they say about SOHC's... IMHO... Vtec can also be overratted... Like by a couple of thousands $$$!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
scottigee said:
:confused

Ok so if you want a stock N/A motor the GSR is obviously better.

If you're looking to boost, the b18b will be easier to tune than a GSR because it starts off lower compression...but that's it. don't fool yourself into thinking that a 1.8L non-vtec has more potential than a 1.8L vtec.

People like the b18b for their civics because it offers a .2L bump and a DOHC setup over their D16. But you get all that +30hp and higher upside potential with the GSR.

The only reasons to go b18b are
-starts out cheaper
-easier to tune (to a point)
-you don't feel as bad blowing it up.

You have a good point here, but, everyone does not want to spend a crap load of money on a motor that just to get 30hp... Hell, you can frankenstein the B18b for a hell of alot cheaper than it will cost you to go with a b18c stock, conversion and all... Either way if you plan on boosting, (as most people), you are looking into doing a rebuild anyways...The money difference can get you machined and past the 30hp mark... Dont get me wrong, the B18c is a strong motor, as I have raced a GSR, but for 30hp, the price and all for 30hp is overated!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,786 Posts
I would go with the B18b, then again I am biased as thats what I really am going for.

Easier to tune when boosting
Long blocks are so much cheaper compared to the B18c and B16a
Produces more torque than the B18c and especially the B16a

And besides, I wouldn't feel too bad blowing it up compared to a VTEC motor. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
xtremefusion said:
I would go with the B18b, then again I am biased as thats what I really am going for.

Easier to tune when boosting
Long blocks are so much cheaper compared to the B18c and B16a
Produces more torque than the B18c and especially the B16a

And besides, I wouldn't feel too bad blowing it up compared to a VTEC motor. :D

Now thats what I'm talking about!!! :number1 ... Thats the way I feel.. The B18c is overated... IMHO, the B18b should put down more torque that the vtec engine when boosted anyways!!! With frankenstein, you can have all the abilities of a non-vtec and vtec motor!!! Then the silent ninja will attack--- :ninja !!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,517 Posts
ginyu6869 said:
Hell, you can frankenstein the B18b for a hell of alot cheaper than it will cost you to go with a b18c stock, conversion and all...
cheaping out on an lsvtec will result in a blown motor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Snoopy said:
cheaping out on an lsvtec will result in a blown motor.

I was just making a statement, but cheaping out on any motor = blown motor!!! :kick
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top