Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
hobie237 said:
i'm thinking auto-x and i'm thinking brakes...

1. what is the best big brake kit for a 98 teg?
2. can i just do the front brakes and get better stopping without replacing all 4 wheels' brakes?
3. can i move the front stock brakes to the rear and put just bigger fronts on to save money?
1. if you're thinking auto-x & big brake kit, you're thinking of running against highly modified m3's and the like.. they are only legal in street modified and above.. there's no benefit for big brake kits in auto-x
2. no.. for your car bigger brake kits do not really improve braking power.. it stays cooler longer to allow consistent braking repeatedly.. if anything, you'll notice the benefit at the track..
3. not sure.. for civics and tegs depth looks similar, but one is vented and one is solid so width will be different..

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
You don't need a big brake kit. Call the folks at www.carbotecheng.com for a good set of pads and get some ATE superblue racing or ATE Type 200 Gold brake fluid. As for rears, leave the stock pads back there. Rears do very little for braking, especially for very aggressive driving.

Also, remember, your brakes don't stop the car, the tires do...

·
Registered
941 Posts
kommon_sense said:
Also, remember, your brakes don't stop the car, the tires do...
Exactly...what kinda tires do you have? because right now on kuhmo 712's I'm locking like crazy, yet on my old azenis I didn't have much of a problem

·
Registered
381 Posts
he won't need ate brake fluid, or even any high performance brake fluid unless you track.. even for autocross you don't need it..

however, it is a good idea to match the rear pads to the fronts.. although the fronts do most of the braking, the rears do assist the car in stopping.. every foot or even inch matters stopping in time from hitting a car or object.. when your rear isn't matched with the fronts, it's (in a sense) changing your braking bias and won't allow your brakes to work at it's maximum potential..

712's are an overall great street tire.. decent grip, nice ride, low noise, etc.. if you're looking for a more grip tire, you can step up to MX.. azenis cost less, but mx has almost the same amount of lateral grip.. better straight line grip and a little better ride than azenis..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts