Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it be worth getting a bigger JG 65mm throttle body with i/e/h/stage 1 cams/type r pistons/skunk2 manifold/AEM Fuel rail? I have a GSR and have the chance to get a JG Edelbrock Throttle body for like $150. Would it be worth the gain in HP? What would be the gain, if any?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,403 Posts
still goin to choke if the IM is still stock....my .02
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,160 Posts
hell yeah. You already have a good amount of work done to your engine so im sure you could use a bigger TB.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,429 Posts
You'll kill the flow velocity going into your engine. Not worth it even at your mod level.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,076 Posts
female four said:
You'll kill the flow velocity going into your engine. Not worth it even at your mod level.
your wrong! so you saying that i should not install a intake then wright?

you still can gain HP if you looking for power
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,533 Posts
a type R TB would prob work best with his set up. a bigger TB will give him greater response but that power gain does not come without a loss. if he had bigger cams i think a bigger TB would be a good call. and for $150 i think that TB is a steal, all depends on how he wants his car to ride and if he likes the feel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,429 Posts
gsrboy171 said:
your wrong! so you saying that i should not install a intake then wright?

you still can gain HP if you looking for power
And what size is your intake going to be?

Most people go out and buy the biggest they can get ~ 3". But if you really pay attention to detail and actually do measurements, you would see that AEM has different sizes for the tegs.

taken from here
2.5" for the B18a/b
2.75" for the B18c1
3" for the B18c5
Of course the tegs also use differnet size throttle bodies too. However, each one take in air differently and at different rates.

And to answer your qeustion, you shouldn't really buy an intake. Stock is best. Most people just buy it for sound and cool factor. How many of those ebay intakes do you think is actually giving you any power gains?

Power potial is there, but you would have to be able to maximize the benifits for it to be worth it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,361 Posts
female four said:
And to answer your qeustion, you shouldn't really buy an intake. Stock is best. Most people just buy it for sound and cool factor. How many of those ebay intakes do you think is actually giving you any power gains?

Power potial is there, but you would have to be able to maximize the benifits for it to be worth it.
thats why intakes that use an air box (like comptech and Js racing) are usually the best to buy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,041 Posts
does he even need that AEM fuel rail? ive heard that stock honda rails can support up to 4 or 500hp
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,076 Posts
female four said:
Most people just buy it for sound and cool factor.
and the sound waves moves the air better than can help make more HP!

your wright bigger is not always better

but a of mine friend have a 97 gsr like mine and he got skunk 2 stage1 cams and valve train and when he put a 68mm TB on the car pull even harder(sounds like no velocity was fucked up to me)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,429 Posts
gsrboy171 said:
and the sound waves moves the air better than can help make more HP!

your wright bigger is not always better

but a of mine friend have a 97 gsr like mine and he got skunk 2 stage1 cams and valve train and when he put a 68mm TB on the car pull even harder(sounds like no velocity was fucked up to me)
At one point you'll start looking at dyno's and power curves. Until then, the butt dyno will suffice for lego builders.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,076 Posts
female four said:
At one point you'll start looking at dyno's and power curves. Until then, the butt dyno will suffice for lego builders.
sooo what you trying to say?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,429 Posts
gsrboy171 said:
sooo what you trying to say?
That you should stop thinking that "it felt faster and pulled harder to redline" mentality. Don't use that as a bases of deciding on buying parts.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top