Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i went and bought some simple green to clean out my engine bay. scrubbed all the grime out, took a hose, sprayed it all off. hung around for about 20 minutes, went back outside, put the hood down and took off.

at first the car seemed okay...by at first i mean for like 20 seconds, then it started. i shifted into 2nd and accelerated but nothing happened. i had my foot all the way down and was barely reaching 3K. i figured that if i had another mile of road i could hit vtec lol. anyway, i pulled over and turned off the car. restarted it. no more than 5 seconds later the lude was fighting to stay alive. it had started fine, but the engine was dropping to like 4-300 rpms and fighiting to kick it back up to a normal idle. i hadnt actually moved the car yet, i was too busy praying that it wouldnt die. sure enough, it went back up to around 1K to idle. i shut off the car and restarted it. by this time i was smelling a smell that was like something was starting to burn, so i head home (one block away). on the way home, she was doing the same unable to accelerate thing that it was doing earlier.

the only thing i messed with while cleaning the car was i took off the cover for the headers (and left it off).

anybody? :cry

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my air filter isnt wet at all. i had one vaccuum hose that was cracked and i replaced it. the problem is still very much apparent. no clue what is going on. my car wont idle at all now. it dies as soon as you stop revving it up. it also seems to die when you put it in gear. in neutral you can rev freely, but you cant idle. my cel light was flashing, but i took of the cap and cleaned it out and that seems to have gone away.

any help is appreciated.

:confused

·
Registered
186 Posts
Water in the distributor cap. Happens to me all the time. 1st time it happened i was at a car wash and it was f'n busy and it wouldnt even start. So i had to push the pig to the dry bay. it was embarassing, wait about 10-15 mins and it will be ok.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there was a tad bit of water in the distributer cap...but there was an awful lot in the spark plug holes. took some time, but i dipped a rag in there to soak all the water up...sure enough, no more problems. thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fuck. i thought everything was fine, but on the way to school this morning the cel light started flashing (which means misfire right?) like it was last night. the car still drove fine, no shaking, no weird noises, but the light was flashing. i stopped, turned it off, turned it back on...light wasnt flashing.

on the way home, the car started doing that really low idle it was doing last night. no weird sounds, it didnt shut itself off, but it was idling around 300. wtf is going on???

:confused

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah...is that a postive at this point that i didnt get water in the engine? im think i still may have...

when i took out the wires to check the plugs there was water down there. i knew that if i took the plug out the water would fall down into the engine, so instead i spent a looong time dipping a rag in there to try to soak up all the water. eventually i took the plugs out and dried them off, but im not totally sure that i got all the water up and none fell into the engine.

would the car even be running if there was water in there?

·
Registered
699 Posts
if you got water in there, you would have worse problems than you do now. If you got water in there, you would have bent a rod or something of that nature. What probably happen is the electrode on the plug wires prolly got wet and was shorting out...causing a your problem. You didnt get any kind of check engine lights?

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
take out your spark plug wires and look down into the holes...ill bet theres a bunch of water down there (the seals on the wires dont do shit when theres water sitting on the valve cover)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.