Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the Detroit newsStory

I wondered why that recall last year for steering problems in Yota trucks went back to '93, things are usually caught much earlier that that. Ya know as Toyota gets bigger and bigger in a bid to claim the #1 in sales banner they're quality is going the other way. I can't recall where I read it but I saw a story about that Avalon tranny problem that was supposed to be limited to a few hundred cars. It said might be much bigger.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
accordjtstyle said:
Wow. You are way off. And you think toyota transmissions are bad? Drive a V6 Honda with an auto trans. Much worse.
Or a Prelude with Sequential Sportshift like mine, that is not covered under an extended warranty since it's not 99-01. :D

·
Registered
972 Posts
prored2000 said:
Ya know as Toyota gets bigger and bigger in a bid to claim the #1 in sales banner they're quality is going the other way
It's actually a simple statistic. I just read a book entitled how to lie with statistic. In it the writer comment about how people usually looks at the face value only. In example, Toyota rate of failures probably only sticks at 3% but its product sales probably increases 100% so the failures seems doubled but actually the failure rate still quite low, but mostly people will only look at how many failures Toyota had.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Midi_Amp said:
It's actually a simple statistic. I just read a book entitled how to lie with statistic. In it the writer comment about how people usually looks at the face value only. In example, Toyota rate of failures probably only sticks at 3% but its product sales probably increases 100% so the failures seems doubled but actually the failure rate still quite low, but mostly people will only look at how many failures Toyota had.
i don't know. it sounds to me this is less about statistics and more about the fact that they covered up the problem that caused an accident that could've been avoided had they done anything in the past.

·
Registered
972 Posts
flyracerx said:
more about the fact that they covered up the problem that caused an accident that could've been avoided had they done anything in the past.
... Or that. Yeah, I know that early prevention will benefit Toyota in the long run, but I have a very hard time that a company as big as Toyota would do something that will eventually tarnish their name.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Midi_Amp said:
... Or that. Yeah, I know that early prevention will benefit Toyota in the long run, but I have a very hard time that a company as big as Toyota would do something that will eventually tarnish their name.
3 high ranking company officals under criminal investigation stemming from steering problems dating from the mid 90's. The recall I referenced covered '93 to up to '98 but they had other truck steering related recalls invloving large numbers.

Toyota trucks
In the second recall, Toyota said it would begin an action on 978,000 SUVs and trucks for a problem with power steering systems.
A linkage from the steering unit to the wheels can break, leading to a loss of steering, although the problem presents itself when involved
vehicles are stopped. The Toyotas included in the recall are the 1990-95 4Runner SUV, 1989-95 Truck 4WD, and 1993-98 T-100 pickup.

Here's the other: Toyota Recalling Tacoma / Sequoia / Tundra & 4 Runner. 18/05/05

Toyota will recall the U.S.-made Tacoma compact pickup truck, the Sequoia sport-ute and Tundra pickup, and the 4Runner sport-utility
vehicle, all the results of a flaw in the vehicles' suspensions. The total of recalled vehicles will be about 790,000. The defect involves front suspension components that can deteriorate if scratched. The problem stems from a defective ball joint, which can make the vehicles
difficult to steer. The recall includes 2001-2004 model year Tacoma trucks, 2001-2002 4Runners, and 2002-2004 models of the
Sequoia and Tundra. It is one of the largest recalls in the company's history.

Reactions: Midi_Amp

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
accordjtstyle said:
Wow. You are way off. And you think toyota transmissions are bad? Drive a V6 Honda with an auto trans. Much worse.
I own a V6 Honda with an auto trans and it works just fine thank you. As to the Avalon they had a problem with the new 6 speed. You can check that out if you wish. While your at it have a look at other Yota tranny compaints and then tell em that Toyota auto transmissions are all that.

The Honda auto trans problem was solved in early 2004 from what I understand. As I said I have no problem with mine.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
ok wow, if you dump on your transmission, of course you're gonna break it. i've never heard anyone complain about their honda trans unless they've been powershifting or launching constantly.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
flyracerx said:
ok wow, if you dump on your transmission, of course you're gonna break it. i've never heard anyone complain about their honda trans unless they've been powershifting or launching constantly.
wow, never heard of the infamous Honda auto-tranny situation? Honda had to replace basically all of the auto trannies for the 6th gen Accord out of their pocket and had to acknowledge to the public that the made a boo-boo with the auto tranny. just ask any 6th gen Accord drivers with a slushbox. some of them are on their second or third auto tranny

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ThirdLane said:
wow, never heard of the infamous Honda auto-tranny situation? Honda had to replace basically all of the auto trannies for the 6th gen Accord out of their pocket and had to acknowledge to the public that the made a boo-boo with the auto tranny. just ask any 6th gen Accord drivers with a slushbox. some of them are on their second or third auto tranny
Wasn't just the Accord. A manager at work that I talk cars with had his TL tranny replaced twice. He was amused that the car was built here but the problem tranny was built in Japan.

I guess they fixed the tranny problem on the later 6 Gen's or I've just been lucky. I bought it about 2 years ago and have over 28K on it.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
prored2000 said:
Wasn't just the Accord. A manager at work that I talk cars with had his TL tranny replaced twice. He was amused that the car was built here but the problem tranny was built in Japan.

I guess they fixed the tranny problem on the later 6 Gen's or I've just been lucky. I bought it about 2 years ago and have over 28K on it.
guess what the TL is built off. an accord. they share the same chassis, engine(different output), and of course the tranny

·
Registered
827 Posts
Midi_Amp said:
Ford Pinto - it blew up, & yet FoMoCo was deemed the best carmaker, BACK THEN

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MarriedWithKid said:
Ford Pinto - it blew up, & yet FoMoCo was deemed the best carmaker, BACK THEN
The sad thing is the engineers wanted to add a bladder to the fuel tank for safety but the bean counters nixed it as too expensive. How many people got cooked due to that decision. With the bladder it would have been one of the safest small cars of the 70's, without ...BBQ. :bash on the bean counters that endanger peoples lives.

·
Registered
972 Posts
prored2000 said:
With the bladder it would have been one of the safest small cars of the 70's, without ...BBQ.
Wicked... Is Toyota now in this situation because of the same situation? In my little head it is only cost problem that would make a company the size of Toyota to have this kind of problem, at least back then. So the bean counter fiasco strikes again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.