Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal to see some black smoke when my car hits VTEC? I notice quite a bit in the rear view mirror when I'm at WOT. It's Black/Gray, not blue like oil smoke. Most likely running rich?

Mods: DC Sports DAC, DC Sports 421 CC Header

·
Registered
21,276 Posts
you car is more than likely just running rich

check your spark plugs and maybe you might need to replace them.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just replaced them not too long ago. Helped the problem but didn't get rid of it. Seafoam also seemed to help the problem temporarily for some reason. Car only has 81,000 miles and runs strong...

~Peace

·
Registered
210 Posts
Nope completely normal. When vtec activates its such a jump in fuel delivery it takes a second for air to catch up and level off. So it runs rich for a second (hence the smoke) Its a normal thing and they all do it so don't be worried.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
IHIPrelude94 said:
Just replaced them not too long ago. Helped the problem but didn't get rid of it. Seafoam also seemed to help the problem temporarily for some reason. Car only has 81,000 miles and runs strong...

~Peace
I have the same problem and new plugs and seafoam didnt fix it permanently either. Im not sure if Im running rich, but Im pretty sure Im burning oil, since I have to add a quart or two between changes. Btw I have 105k miles..... :(

·
Registered
910 Posts
A little bit of black smoke never hurt anyone. On one hand the guys right, it is normal to run a little rich when vtec kicks, all of them run rich, but not all smoke, lot of things could lead to smoking, too many to be able to tell you whats wrong and how to fix it. but al long as you car doesnt smoke really badly all the time i wouldnt worry about it, running rich under hard accel isnt all that bad, though overly rich does lead to cylindr wash and loss in power. try having my car running extrememly rich, the bck of my car is black 5 days after a wash job... :-( so i wouldnt worry too much about occasional smoking, long as its black/grey and not blue... :eek:

·
Registered
8,403 Posts
PreludeKing1995 said:
A little bit of black smoke never hurt anyone. On one hand the guys right, it is normal to run a little rich when vtec kicks, all of them run rich, but not all smoke, lot of things could lead to smoking, too many to be able to tell you whats wrong and how to fix it. but al long as you car doesnt smoke really badly all the time i wouldnt worry about it, running rich under hard accel isnt all that bad, though overly rich does lead to cylindr wash and loss in power. try having my car running extrememly rich, the bck of my car is black 5 days after a wash job... :-( so i wouldnt worry too much about occasional smoking, long as its black/grey and not blue... :eek:
everyone on here is rite..props

·
Registered
910 Posts
phrancis said:
I have the same problem and new plugs and seafoam didnt fix it permanently either. Im not sure if Im running rich, but Im pretty sure Im burning oil, since I have to add a quart or two between changes. Btw I have 105k miles..... :(
could just be a leak and not burning the oil, that is unless you see a blue smoke under accel... h series are pretty bad for leaking a lot of oil, i know both of my engines ive gone through with this car have leaked oil around cam seals, oil pan, oil cooler, just a slow leak, 1.5 quarts between changes, so its probably nothing to worry about since your engine isnt too high milage...

·
Registered
22,822 Posts
pretty sure blue smoke means your running lean?? is this correct??

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pretty blue smoke means you're burning oil... haha

Thanks everyone! My mind is at ease...

Any way to adjust this? Getting an RS*R Exmag in the spring and figure it will run even richer then... Would a MSD ignition burn more of the fuel for more power?

~Peace

·
Registered
910 Posts
IHIPrelude94 said:
Pretty blue smoke means you're burning oil... haha

Thanks everyone! My mind is at ease...

Any way to adjust this? Getting an RS*R Exmag in the spring and figure it will run even richer then... Would a MSD ignition burn more of the fuel for more power?

~Peace
really not a whole lot you can do unless you wanna spend a lot on a stand alone and a wide band or something... theres ways to fix, but none i would suggest unless your ready to build a full out race car and spend a lot of $ , just let it ride... and as for the ignition to burn more, technicaly it ould, but your computer would correct for the more burn/ air (if you some how got more air, wether it be porting, or adding intake o less estrictive exhaust)... so adding an ignition would give you minimal gains, but i wouldnt think youd see a decrease in running rich

·
Registered
8,403 Posts
98Vtec said:
if you are that worried about it get a hotter plug
explain yourselph

·
Registered
8,494 Posts
PreludeKing1995 said:
i dont see running a hotter plug doing much for it running rich, maybe safer for city driving, but nothing that will help the rich problem much

it won't, thats not what they are for

1 - 20 of 24 Posts