Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. want to paint the housing for my headlights on my 00 SiR. Now, I'm told that you need high temp paint. But, is it a spray can or like normal paint with a brush. Dumb question I know. But I want to be sure before I screw something up and make it look like crap. Also how far back should I paint the signal bulb housing so that it can still reflect the light from the bulb??? any help would be great!!! Later guys!!!


Everyone go out tonight and kick some domestic ASS!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,840 Posts
when u take the headlight housing apart imo u should only the housing not where the light actually is i believe when u take it apart that the head light has two pieces u only want to paint the outside piece not the piece that surrounds the bulb. also u should use spary paint but get some good paint
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,481 Posts
yeah, it looks TIGHT, but be really careful not to paint any of the reflective part...i have seen that happen before, and the headlights dont do crap if you do it...

also, be really generous with the goup you use to reseal the housing...i just resealed mine today for the 5th time, and am hoping i did it right this time. Fogginess inside the housing is MORE than annoying!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
960 Posts
Bryanmoe said:
yeah, it looks TIGHT, but be really careful not to paint any of the reflective part...i have seen that happen before, and the headlights dont do crap if you do it...

also, be really generous with the goup you use to reseal the housing...i just resealed mine today for the 5th time, and am hoping i did it right this time. Fogginess inside the housing is MORE than annoying!
haha
You haven't seen foggy lights till you've seen mine! Hell, today after I washed my car they were bad! I've never opened them before. I plan on it this spring...clear them and hopefully fix this fog problem at the same time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,226 Posts
BennySiR said:
Hey guys. want to paint the housing for my headlights on my 00 SiR. Now, I'm told that you need high temp paint. But, is it a spray can or like normal paint with a brush. Dumb question I know. But I want to be sure before I screw something up and make it look like crap. Also how far back should I paint the signal bulb housing so that it can still reflect the light from the bulb??? any help would be great!!! Later guys!!!


Everyone go out tonight and kick some domestic ASS!!!!
a paint brush huh? :D why dont you save up the $ and drop the loot on some REAL '99-'00 CTR stanley headlamps like i did, trust me, spray paint doesnt look good on any part of an si.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,481 Posts
but at the same time, who really wants to spend $500+ on headlight housing, when you can do it yourself on a Saturday?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,226 Posts
Bryanmoe said:
but at the same time, who really wants to spend $500+ on headlight housing, when you can do it yourself on a Saturday?

theres no way to replicate the true type r stanley headlamps from a jdm civic type r- no way - unless you want to figure out how to some how seemlessly remove the orange reflector and replace it with perfectly smooth gunmetal chrome, as well as drill a city light hole, as well as some how match the entire headlight housing using that same beautiful gunmetal chrome that was used where the orange reflector was for the entire light assembly. plus, i found them new for 500 shipping included.....ill upload pics as soon as someone will tell me what photohosting service to use now that photopoint is down... sorry if i sound a bit negative about SPRAYPAINTING an si, but you just dont do that shit- if you cant afford to buy the real thing, or you cant save up for it anytime in the future, then fuck it, dont do it, and CERTAINLY dont try to substitute with something half assed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,481 Posts
good points myflysi...i guess there really is no way to get the full look of the ctr headlight housing with spraypaint.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
Try to find some used ctr lights, I got mine for 350 shipped.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,833 Posts
All you need is high temp primer, and your favorite color paint, some waterproof resealant (black).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Well spray paint would work.. But if i were you i would go out and search around for civ type r headlights that would be the best way to go. I think.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top