Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so after I striped my trunk I noticed two thinks.

one:it is covered in black sound detener stuff and
two it is literaly glued togeter therew is no sstrength to it at all.

so after I striped all of the black crud out (heat it first then use a crewdriver to slide it off) I then sanded and painted with some black wrinkle paind(JDM Yo0 lol) came out looking great.

so now for the trunk reenfrcement. I hoped down to lows and snaged some 1" square tubing 4'long and procided to bend it. So Iasked my mom to do some BBQ(youll see in a sec why LMAO)

BAM into the coals they go for some softening up hahaha.

\
the fire heats the metal up nicley just enough to be maleable.

since my mom was there she had the nice job of holding the tubing while I beat the crap out of the hot end to get it nice and flat. I used a little mini sledge and placed the tubeing onto a BIGH sledge and used it as an envil

the place we are in is a little hut we built where we roast whole lambs or pigs and we also smoke meat in there so it hets HOT and smokey time for a break :)

so the metal cracked a little bit because I beat it to fast and didnt give it a break so it cracked a little in a few small places, I welded the cracks and the seams at the end so no moisture would get into the bar. then I drilled a hole and another one right next to it so the bar would have a little bit of room for adjustability to move left to ri9ght a tad and BAM it was in.

here is a little strength test :)

I weigh about 170lbs and I wast leaning on ANYTHING on the car

how its gona look when Im done exept I will do 3 vertical bars not two.

thumbs up for a hard day of work :)

I have a vid of me beating on It(THE METAL) ill post soon

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
but here are some updates. I just finished up welsing the outer suports adn Im still waiting on the mesure ments for the nitrous bracets just as an added perk later on.

here are some pics.

weldes are or for it being my secont time welding and using a 100 dollar walmarts rod welder.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Slipjack said:
Nice job, look good.

Your mom has some strong arms. I think she can beat me at arm wrestling. :(
wow lol I beat her at arm wrestling when I was 11.

being painted right now wil install by 7 with pics

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok well the brace is done and it looks great!! it has a nice red color so it stick out like I want it to!

it bolted up pretty easy I was good with mesurements so it went on fine. I wasnt able to keep the little pice of plastic that covers the lip of the trunk :( o well.

H it up y0o!!

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
riceboy89 said:
nice setup man

your mom is so jdm! :wow
lol thanks man. yea it turned out pretty well. Im thinking of welding in a bar under the strut towers and runing a strut bar, but I think it may just be to many LBS to be worth the stifness.

overall a good project,easy,takes some basic tools. best of a ll cheap and I test drove it feels better for sure, I didnt push the car at all but I feelt a little more stability in the rear. With some nice strut bars this setup will kick ASS.

right now I have the megan front H brace, the lowes trunk brace(lol but :clap ) Im thining password JDM strut bars or atleast some non flex ones from ebay and the car will be super stiffened up.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
speedjunky01 said:
lol thanks man. yea it turned out pretty well. Im thinking of welding in a bar under the strut towers and runing a strut bar, but I think it may just be to many LBS to be worth the stifness.

overall a good project,easy,takes some basic tools. best of a ll cheap and I test drove it feels better for sure, I didnt push the car at all but I feelt a little more stability in the rear. With some nice strut bars this setup will kick ASS.

right now I have the megan front H brace, the lowes trunk brace(lol but :clap ) Im thining password JDM strut bars or atleast some non flex ones from ebay and the car will be super stiffened up.

yeah that was definately a good project. im thinking of maybe following suit and trying this on my car. about painting the trunk, howd u do it (just rattle can?)

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
riceboy89 said:
yeah that was definately a good project. im thinking of maybe following suit and trying this on my car. about painting the trunk, howd u do it (just rattle can?)
yup but Istriped out all of the black tar sound detening stuff by heating it and then scraping it off. I masked everything off nicley including the back of the back seats. then I used some black wrinkle spraypaint from autozone.

if you need something more durable I would use some truck bedliner or something. make sure you smash the ends of the bar nice and even, go about 5 1/2" in from the end.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok well I just finished the rear disk swap along with camber and toe kit. so I got the car alined and went for a test drive. there is a very nice mountain stile twisty road and I drove up it once and it was barron as hell so I decided to push the car a little.

so I was digging through the corners retty hard and I dont know if its the ES trailing arm bushings or the trunk bar, but the car feels SO mch better in the rear. it feels like the suspension is actualy moving up and down not the unibody. there is deffinetly something to this trunk bar for sure.

I also tested it on some bumpy roads to see if it improved te comfrt of the ride at all, and if anything it made it worse since the body isnt moving as much in the rear.

the car feels sloshy as hell up front compared to the rear and now it seems to understeer a tad more. tire PSi was identical (39 front 38 rear)

over all:
-cheap
-effective
-fun to do!!

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
commador said:
You have ES trailing arm bushings?

Just watch out with those, they dont exactly let the arm move in ways that it should.
yea ive read about this but since I also have a cambner kit the arm is perfectly straight up and down wise, when it moves up it does rotate a little inwards. I have taken a dozzen or so HARD hairpin corners and so far car feels great. only problem im having is tire rub issue in the rear right when Ireally turn hard.

when I get a typeR rear swaybar it should kill the roll in the rear and stop the rub I hope.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.