Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i am tryin to find a b18c1 block im am going to build the engine from the black up so if anyone can help me please let me know, and if anyone has any better info on if i should use a different engine let me know

·
Premium Member
18,247 Posts
what car?

what are your plans?

how much are you planning on spending?

here's something to get you started:
earl said:
Here is the process of making a Dan Benson block. In the first two pix below you can see that a portion of the original sleeves are cut away. Note that the inside of each cylinder is precision honed to .0001" tolerance. I will explain why this is important in a little bit. Also note how much of the block remains to support the sleeves. BTW, this is a F series block but all blocks are done the same.

Note on the close-up pix below, the edge of the cylinder is beveled. If this is not done, there is a possibility that the edge can hold the sleeve up to drop at a later date. The other reason it is beveled is that it gives a spot for the sealant to reside, thus insuring no coolant leaks into the oil.

Here are the sleeves used for the block. These sleeves are CUSTOM made for Benson Machine by Darton. As you can see, they are available for B, D, F, H and K series as well as V-6 Honda's. Note the ridge on the sleeve that rests on the block. This is what stops the sleeve from dropping.

Now what holds the sleeves in place? The process works because of the tight tolerances held by Dan Benson. The blocks are heated to operating temperature in the hot tank. The sleeves are cooled in the refrigerator. When the time is right, the sleeves are installed to the perfect interference fit. NOT beat into submission with a hammer, NOT crushed in with a hydraulic press but pushed in with a fixture with the proper amount of force because of the .0001" tolerance I previously mentioned. It is impossible for the sleeves to move.

The problem with Benson Sleeves is that they were always more expensive...until now. Here is the deal. I have made a deal with Dan to produce the Benson Signature Series Block. This block from start to finish will be touched only by Dan Benson...NO ONE ELSE...PERIOD. It is 100% guaranteed not to drop sleeves, not to need an align bore after-wards, not to leak, not to be surfaced crooked, not to have egg shaped honed sleeves...It will all be done by Dan Benson. NO EXCUSES. Blocks include finished bore to your piston's specs, O-rings (or raised deck if preferred) at no extra cost.
Price is $950 plus shipping. I know you can find sleeves cheaper but you won't find a better, trouble free block anywhere. Don't ask about closed decks. It is not the way to go and we won't do them. Benson is the only block I have used in my race car. I have never had a sleeve problem, overheating problem or a blown head gasket with my Benson block.

After receiving your block, the process begins with hot tanking, squaring and surfacing the block, Benson Machine sleeves installed with a .003" stepped deck, Benson bored and honed cylinders, Benson balanced and micropolished crank, CP Pistons (the most accurate pistons made) and rings, Eagle Rods, ACL bearings, new OEM oil pump, new water pump and lower gasket set. Includes blueprinting (you get all the specs, nothing secret) and assembly. You must supply the block and crank core plus all necessary bolts. Allow about 4 weeks from receipt of core for delivery of the completed block.
Price for all of the above including return shipping is $3075. This price is for all B, D and H series blocks. Add $375 if you would like to have Pauter Rods rather than Eagle.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what car? 1990 integra ls

what are your plans? me and my dad havent decided what we wanna do i think we are gunna make it drag car but still have it be able to be street driven everyday.

how much are you planning on spending? money isnt really to much of a deal

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.