Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my buddy just picked up a 96 dc2 ls. for some reason he keeps blowing out his oil filter? he was using a kn filter and it doubled in size and almost burst! the first time it blew out the oil filter seal and the second time he blew the whole oil filter itseft!

what can be causing such the high oil pressure? the motor has 92k and its completely stock. it supposedely has a gsr oil pump. thats what the guy who sold it to him said. but i dont think this would cause the filter problems. does anyone have an idea? all responses are appreciated. thanks

· Registered
496 Posts
this might be stupid, but could clogged or plugged pcv system cause pressure to build up and instead of blowing a head gasket, blow the oil filter? i have never heard of this but other then that, too strong of an oil pump, or wrong filter size id have no idea, sorry

· Super Nazi Mod
5,806 Posts
the oil return is partially clogged with foreign debris. tka the oil filter off and check the return. if you can't see it you may have to pull the engine

· Registered
512 Posts
the oil return is partially clogged with foreign debris. tka the oil filter off and check the return. if you can't see it you may have to pull the engine
good point. the return is removeable but if there was foriegn debris, you would want to remove the engine anyway and clean out the oil passages and change the bearings I would presume.....

· Registered
10,346 Posts
how the hell does an oil filter double in size? that rubber gasket will blow before a metal oil filter would, IMHO

· Super Nazi Mod
5,806 Posts
how the hell does an oil filter double in size? that rubber gasket will blow before a metal oil filter would, IMHO
not really. it sits in a channel around the filter if on tight enough not much will actually be exposed maybe 1mm if that. the pressure needed to blow it out would be more than the actual casing. if on loose it will blow in a heart beat like the first time.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
I guess my opinion was based on the A02 OEM filters im using, thin round gasket instead of some think square edged filters most people use.

Now that I think of it, the gasket is surrounding the oil return part right?

· Registered
2,806 Posts
When I worked at the shop we would see old GM vehicle witht eh oil pressure in dash guage jumping from high to low. We would show it to the mechanic and he said it was the oil sending unit. This could be the same idea with your problem, only with pressure high enough to blow a filter. The stupid people would never fix their problem at the shop....

· Registered
512 Posts
When I worked at the shop we would see old GM vehicle witht eh oil pressure in dash guage jumping from high to low. We would show it to the mechanic and he said it was the oil sending unit. This could be the same idea with your problem, only with pressure high enough to blow a filter. The stupid people would never fix their problem at the shop....
that's not an oil pressure problem but a sending unit problem.. This guy is actually experiencing tremendous actual oil pressure

· Registered
10,346 Posts
why doesnt he run wil less oil? the higher pressure will let you run a lil less oil, to drop the overall pressure

· Registered
512 Posts
why doesnt he run wil less oil? the higher pressure will let you run a lil less oil, to drop the overall pressure
oil level doesn't effect oil pressure except when you have too little (starvation) or too much (foaming)

Oil level does have an indirect effect on pressure do to heat. less volume means the oil is circulated throug the motor faster = hotter = less pressure

· Registered
10,346 Posts
oil level doesn't effect oil pressure except when you have too little (starvation) or too much (foaming)

Oil level does have an indirect effect on pressure do to heat. less volume means the oil is circulated throug the motor faster = hotter = less pressure
Your first sentence says only extremes effect pressure, too low or too high, while your second sentence says otherwise, which is it

· Registered
2,806 Posts
Well think abot it this way, from a compressability stand point. Air (and all gases) are compressable. If they weren't our engines wouldn't work. Water (all all liquids) are essentially non-compressable.
If there is too much oil in the system, there is no where for the air to compress to, raising the pressure. If there is too little oil in the system then the oil can compress more freely, thus lowering the pressure.
If his car has to much oil in it it could be doing this, but it would have to be a lot of extra oil and the dipstick is usually the first place it lets of pressure like this.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.