Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I blew a head gasket on my 92 DX today... so its been a shitty day to say the least. Luckily my dad is a mechanic at a shop down here in Florida so we are going to work on it together. He said he we would start on it Sunday and was saying there are a lot of possibilities depending on the serverity of the damage. My question is, Is there anything I can to my DX motor to get more power out of it, like do something to the head or bolt on a different head? I figure since I'm already going through all this trouble I may as well do what I can to the engine for the time being. The engine itself has about 158,000 on it and I deliver pizzas so I guess you could say the car is at its last breath. Once I graduate college in another year I'll be able to do more with it but for the time being I am at a fork in the road on whether I should get the engine fixed or buy another. At any rate, any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm not sure of pricing either so that helps too. thanks so much

-Mike-

· Registered
1,332 Posts
a blown head gsaket isnt a big deal with the right tools..... parts wise it would be $70 at the max maybe around 50 or so..... as for the labor .... you mentioned that your gonna help your dad do it thats a mechanic which should be that much of a hastle..... have fun learning

· Registered
1,332 Posts
well it may be warped but hondas are pretty good with their heads staying "straight"...... there is a possibility that it is warped and would need to be decked but that wouldnt cost to much..... you can check it if you got a mechanics straight edge or a good one around and use a feeler gauge to see if any one part of the head is out of spec.......... Im not to sure what tolerences would be the max somebody else may be able to help you with that

· Registered
90 Posts
get a haynes complete repair manual for the 92 to 95 honda civics, it has all the info you need to repair the engine from a complete teardown & rebuild, and all the specs for the stock engines

price: $20 canadian

new head gasket (the thinner one mentioned) : $93 + tax (canadian)

bonding time with your dad: priceless :D

(sorry for canadian prices, but i live in canada near toronto ontario, so thats how i get my prices for new parts)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.