Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a normal day, I wasnt pushing it hard or anything, and all of the sudden the piece of shit quit on me. Is there anyway to test if its really blown, beside it not working?? Thats the last time i buy expensive subs. I only had it about a year.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
maybe your fuse went out on you or maybe something is wrong with your wiring? did you check? what kind of amp do you have? cuz sometimes your amp mite go into emergency mode or something and then it goes out. those things are very hard to blow out. those things can handle a ton.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well my amp works fine, because i switched subs with my friend and they hit just fine. I even put the sub in my friends car and we get nothing. As for calling kicker...I got it off of ebay so no warranty. It seems that the more expensive the sub the less they last. My friend had 2 12" infinity perfects and they only lasted him 5months. Least I got a year out of mine.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Call up kicker anyways and try to trade them in. You might have a chance they will accept it or just see how much it is to get it fixed. My friend recently blew 1 L7 also but that was during a burp but in your case its totally different. And woo hoo 600 posts.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Vtec Mike said:
Well my amp works fine, because i switched subs with my friend and they hit just fine. I even put the sub in my friends car and we get nothing. As for calling kicker...I got it off of ebay so no warranty. It seems that the more expensive the sub the less they last. My friend had 2 12" infinity perfects and they only lasted him 5months. Least I got a year out of mine.
That's funny... I paid $250 for some SoundStream SPL 12s about 6 years ago and they still play loud as hell!! Believe me, I don't have the best luck with electronics but not the worst. Did I mention that I blew the SoundStream amp pushing those about 4 times and busted one of the surrounds on the sub while installing it??

Since you bought it on eBay, that's the risk you take with no warranty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
you should call Eva in costumer service at Kicker(405)624-8510, Tell her you got the sub at the Kicker Tent Sale in late April. She should help you.

and make sure you talk to Eva, she is the nicer one

·
Registered
176 Posts
im not suprised, i have seen so many of thoes subs blow i cant even count. my neighbor just blew a par a few months ago. they locked up solid as a rock. you cant even move the cones by pushing on them.

sooner or later Kicker will get tired of replacing them and admidt you cant give a subwoofer a 750-1000 watt rating while using a 2.25" voice coil. but untill they upgrade to a larger magnet assembly and a larger voice coil they will have to just pretend their subs will handel these inflated wattage ratings.
sure any sub will take it for a little while and you may not have been playiing it loud when it blew but that does not mean the voice coil didnt overheat a little bit when you were playing it hard and eventually the varnish on the windings of the coil will give way and the windings begin to short to each other. this will cause the coil to overheat very easy next time you play the subs at all.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My kicker isnt locked up or anything, it just doesnt play. But nonetheless I'm going for cheap 100 subs now, like those kenwoods that are warrantied for like 3 years and you can blow them as many times as you want.:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts