Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, ok, ok... nobody flame me for this. but i did a search and couldnt really find much other than a wiring issue. but heres the deal: i just bought some infinity components for front speakers w/ tweeters. The speakers are excellent when i crank up the volume, but the last two weeks when the volume is pretty loud, im hearing crackling or popping coming from the tweeters. only at high levels though can this be heard. it was never like this when i bought them.

Now, is there any real way to check if a speakers is blown? again, its just the tweeters that sound defective. Also another thing... the tweeters give really high ass tones! i cant find any way to adjust them to tone them down...but thats probably another issue i think.

Ok, now heres my setup: Pioneer 7200 Head Unit , two 10" Lightning Audio Subs (100 watt each), 1 Phoenix Gold amp 180Watts , and 6.25 infinity component speakers. Any help or info is much appreciated. thanx

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have a cheap MTX amp pushing my front speakers, they clip with a "crack" sound when cranked hard.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I think what is happening is that you're overdriving your head unit's internal amplifier. I think you're turning up the volume too high, and the signal is distorting.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
crx4luke, thats whats i think the problem really is: blasting too damn loud! but i cant help it...w/ my tanabe medallion exhaust, i cant hear shit. Do you think a much higher watt amp will help? like 500 watts? Or just upgrade the deck unite maybe?

my tweeters are warranty covered if they are blown. So they'll get replaced. just looking to avoid the situation again.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Get them replaced first.:D Then go and get a higher powered amp. I'm running my alpine amp which gives them almost 500 watts to my references, and they sound amazing. Go and get something that gives you about 200 to 250x2 @ 4ohms. That would be my suggestion. But, make sure your electrical system can hold the extra voltage being pulled. Really, now that i look at you don't need that much power. Just get something at least equal to your sub amp. You will notice the difference.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
holy ish man!! 500 watts for speakers?? all i gotta say is damn..most speakers are rated around 150 watts or below. you guys must have some special speakers or speakers that have very low sensitivity rates. i can guarantee you guys that my CDT audio with 75 watts will blast the eardrums out of you. lol.:p

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
yeah, well my fronts need to keep up with my subs, cause i always crank those. Plus i always have my windows down, i have some loud road noise ( i think a bad rear wheel bearing is contributing to that), and my exhaust is pretty loud. So, i need to get my fronts loud. The Infinity's say they have a peak of 250W, and i'm sending them like maybe 240 at the top end of RMS. I have the amp bridge...i don't know though if thats correct, i could be wrong on my estimate. But my signal is fairly clean, as far as no distortion goes.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wut i think i'll do instead, is just buy a 2nd AMP. and i can use the one now (180x2) for the front speakers and the 2nd AMP i get i'll hook it directly up to the subs. from what other ppl tell me too, this is a better setup having 2 amps: one for speakers, and another for the subs.

but we'll see.... hella short on funds these next two months :(

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
CivicDragon916 said:
wut i think i'll do instead, is just buy a 2nd AMP. and i can use the one now (180x2) for the front speakers and the 2nd AMP i get i'll hook it directly up to the subs. from what other ppl tell me too, this is a better setup having 2 amps: one for speakers, and another for the subs.

but we'll see.... hella short on funds these next two months :(
that's probably the best option. Look on ebay, i got my zapco on there for a good deal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts