Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so after a month of driving around with my dash and gauge cluster open, I finally finished up everything. Here are some pics:

Here is my aluminum bezel:

I used blue condoms over the 194 bulbs because they were creating too much light behind the gauges that you could see it on the edges of the gauges and around the center of the needles:

I then used electrical tape around the left edge of the fuel gauge to block out the excess light as well:

Just a pic of the gauges removed from the dash:

Here is a pic of the LED I used for the odometer. Notice the resistor attached to one of the leads:

Here is a pic of the gauges (including the blue odometer):

A pic of my climate controls:

And finally, the finished product:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Nice, now do you know how I can do it to a 4th gen prelude dash ? I got a 93, so none of that bright stuff.. just regular old bulbs here. And It looks like they use the same bulb so how do I convert?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Cool Kim. Glad you finally gave it a shot. Looks good. Where did you get that aluminum bezel? I recall seeing them somewhere but I can't recall where.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Wow, looks really great. Props to you.

That would look sweet in my blue Si . . . too bad Honda already took the liberty of making all of the interior lights red :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
the part i dont get is.....the resistor shit....i dont wana mess with alternating the voltage unless i know how to do it for shure...

cant i jess get 12v LEDs? then plug it in?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pics should work now.

You CANT just plug in the 12 V LED's first of all, cuz they dont exactly "plug" in since they have leads. Illusionz has a good DIY on his website - unfortunately I dont have the link on this machine but i bet you could find it if you did a search.

Also, i had no prior experience to soldering until this point so if I can do it, you can. Just takes a while and some balls to do it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
i think i need the 194 bulb for my custom fog light thing ive been trying to find would that work ??? or is there a 195 bulb?? because i know this isnt what this thread is about but neways i saw a thread where a guy made custom fog lights out of his clear bumper lights by drilling a whole in teh back and putting like 194/5 ?? bulbs in them and wiring it to the corner bulbs so that when they are turned on so are the fogs does that sound right like it could work becasue i cant find taht thread nemore but im almost sure it was a 194/5 bulb so please help and sorry for postin in the wrong thread

·
Registered
685 Posts
Needles don't light up, though huh? When you get aftermarket gauges, do you give up the needles lighting up? I've seen some people who had their gauge light up as well as their needles. I wonder how they did that...

I'm going to overlook the "used blue condoms" part. Couldn't tell if you were serious or not. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
568 Posts
showgunz said:
Needles don't light up, though huh? When you get aftermarket gauges, do you give up the needles lighting up? I've seen some people who had their gauge light up as well as their needles. I wonder how they did that...

I'm going to overlook the "used blue condoms" part. Couldn't tell if you were serious or not. :rolleyes:
Because blue LED will not lit up RED for some reason?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
showgunz said:

Couple things to note: Blue "condoms" is just slang for blue light diffusers. They're not actually condoms :p

The needles DO light up via bulbs behind the gauge cluster. However, they also tend to light up parts of the cluster you dont want. For instance, when they are too bright, you can see light leaking from around the gauge circles. Which is why in one of the pics I ended up using electrical tape to prevent that light from leaking AS WELL AS using blue condoms to minimize the light. Before I had done all this, I had to dim my lights low so that the light wouldnt leak through thus causing all the lights within my dash to dim as well. I didn't want this. So in order to not dim my lights at all, I found this hack to minimizing light output from behind the dash cluster. Fortunately, the needles light up enough regardless of the blue condoms. now, i've heard of some people using blue LEDs who ultimately had problems. This is becuz blue LEDs emit pure blue light, which thus doesn't light up red colors. using the blue condoms emits a "dirty" blue light which is enough to light up the needles.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
KIMistry said:
Couple things to note: Blue "condoms" is just slang for blue light diffusers. They're not actually condoms :p

i was thinking.........................................

·
Registered
685 Posts
KIMistry said:

The needles DO light up via bulbs behind the gauge cluster. However, they also tend to light up parts of the cluster you dont want. For instance, when they are too bright, you can see light leaking from around the gauge circles. Which is why in one of the pics I ended up using electrical tape to prevent that light from leaking AS WELL AS using blue condoms to minimize the light. Before I had done all this, I had to dim my lights low so that the light wouldnt leak through thus causing all the lights within my dash to dim as well. I didn't want this. So in order to not dim my lights at all, I found this hack to minimizing light output from behind the dash cluster. Fortunately, the needles light up enough regardless of the blue condoms. now, i've heard of some people using blue LEDs who ultimately had problems. This is becuz blue LEDs emit pure blue light, which thus doesn't light up red colors. using the blue condoms emits a "dirty" blue light which is enough to light up the needles.
So I'm assuming all reverse indiglo gauges have this problem? I thought some people had good lighting with their RI gauges. I didn't see any light leakage or what not. This kind of discourages me from getting RI gauges. Lot of hassle for it, you know?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts