Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '90 Civic H,I,E. I bought a used motor then honed it, changed the rod bearings and piston rings. Changed all gaskets necessary to put it back together. Drives fine, decent power, but blows out blue smoke. When you baby it, it's fine but when you get on it, it blows out blue smoke. The original motor on the car had a blown head gasket and it looked like oil would suck through the pvc line. The exhaust is full of who knows what. they drove it around for a while and i also used the intake setup i cleand it decent.
some say it needs to be driven and it will go away after it burs off. well
40 miles well it a little better butt when i first drove it smoke ok then it dine down a little. kept driven or replace valve guids sets or what ever there called

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Well, don't hammer on it with new rings. Its probably the reason it smokes. I'd do a compression test to see if its the valve seals or rings. Does it smoke at startup at all? I am willing to guess the motor was broken in properly.

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
BurntRubber87 said:
Well, don't hammer on it with new rings. Its probably the reason it smokes.

there's nothing wrong with beating on a new motor. ;)

90hondacivic3dr...get on the highway and do some pulls, maybe all that shit thats in the exhaust will burn out.
at idle the exhaust gasses are not hot enough to burn whatever's in there thats why you dont see any smoke. when you step on it, it gets hotter and starts smoking.

·
Registered
20,101 Posts
90hondacivic3dr said:
yeah i let it run for a about 30 min. or little more. i putt full sythetic oil 10 w 30 is that bad on those rings. at idle it dont smoke.
You will never break new rings in with synthetic oil. When you put the rings on the pistons did you make sure that the end gap of the top tring was 180 degrees from the end gap of the bottom ring? Also with new rings you want to put the engine under a load. go from like 2k in third gear wide open to about 5k or 6k a few times. The ideal is to get real high cylinder pressure to help seat the rings, also always try to avoid driving at a constant rpm for an extended period of time on a fresh rebuild.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it drives like i think it should norm gas mile. just 1.5 with basics. it just smokes decent when i get on it a little bit. shit u shouldve seen it when i drove it home.with the first motor u could not even see behind me at all thats how bad the last motor was and they drove it. thats why i ask about the muffler cat and all that shit burning off

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.