Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No Apologies: Angry Lutz defends Chevy HHR, says vehicle will be 'sensationally successful'

RICK KRANZ | Automotive News
Posted Date: 1/8/05

Some writers have derided the retro-styled 2006 Chevrolet HHR as a Chrysler PT Cruiser clone. And General Motors Vice Chairman Robert Lutz is hopping mad about that.

He told reporters at the Los Angeles auto show last week: "I read a news story today that is the height of stupidity - 'GM's reply to the PT Cruiser but it comes to the party at least three years late.'

"Who the hell says there is some magic period when you must absolutely introduce a heritage-derived vehicle for one of your brands? Who says that three years ago was the right time to do it? Who says the PT Cruiser sucked up all the demand for small front-wheel-drive cars that draw on the corporate heritage for their definition? By that definition, the new Ford Mustang came to the party 40 years too late because that was the last time they used that style!

"I swear to God some of your colleagues just don't understand this business, which doesn't prevent their busy fingers from moving over the keyboard. Read my lips, the HHR will be sensationally successful. I don't apologize for it."

GM aims to sell 80,000 to 100,000 HHRs a year.

I don't know why he's angry at the media. The HHR really does look like a larger PT-Cruiser clone.

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nfscg said:
sucks for him cus it does look like a pt cruiser clone and probably wont sell well either
I guess it's supposed to look like the old-school 50's Suburbans, but people will always reference it to the current PT.

We'll see how they price it.

Personally, i don't see it selling either. I would be surprised if they sold anywhere near 100k units a year.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Dude, was it every time I seen a new Chevy thats a concept or going to come out its some how a rip off of something else. F**king Chevy Bastards. They must have came up with cylinder deactivation for the Impala SS, and Monte Carlo SS too.

Matt

·
Registered
252 Posts
Gm came up with the cylinder deactivation mode (aka 8-6-4 Caddys) long before everybody else so they never copied anybody. Everybody copied theirs one way or another except Honda when they made technology trade between J35As for Saturn Redline Vues. Honda got what they called Displacement On Demand (aka cylinder deactivation mode ala Honda).

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
R35553HV6 said:
Gm came up with the cylinder deactivation mode (aka 8-6-4 Caddys) long before everybody else so they never copied anybody. Everybody copied theirs one way or another except Honda when they made technology trade between J35As for Saturn Redline Vues. Honda got what they called Displacement On Demand (aka cylinder deactivation mode ala Honda).
Displacement On Demand is what Chevy called it at the LA auto show, for the Impala SS and MC SS.

And why do you think they havent been using it? Chrysler had been developing it for lots of years. I not saying they invented it. But they made it work reliable. And then 1-2 years later there doing it.

Matt

·
Registered
346 Posts
5.0 said:
I don't know why he's angry at the media. The HHR really does look like a larger PT-Cruiser clone.
And an ugly car at that. We'll he can put the HHR under the same catagory as the "sensationally successful" SSR. :rolleyes

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
if the PT would have been offered with a RWD V8 it would have sold really good and I see that being a major role in the sells of this one

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
mulletov said:
Another bomb on the way, just like the Pontiac Aztek. Looks exactly like a 2nd generation PT cruiser.
Yeh, Azteks are the most retarded-looking pieces of shit out there. I think this guy is going to eat his words when that shit flops. :evil

1 - 14 of 14 Posts